Another battery question...need advice

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Storm27m, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    First, a little background on me and my boat. I’m new to this website and this is one of my first posts here. I just bought a used 1648 Sea Nymph Jon with an electric start 30hp tiller motor for use as a general purpose fishing/hunting boat. As far as fishing, I will use it for small river catfish, trolling lakes, bass fishing and maybe some nighttime bowfishing. It’s got a carpeted deck built into the front with a pedestal seat and a carpeted floor throughout the rest of the boat. My question is regarding the battery setup for the boat. The boat came with a dual purpose deep cycle (525CCA, 75AH, I think). Right now, it is equipped with navigation lights, small livewell w/aerator, 40lb thrust trolling motor, and a Hummingbird fish finder. I do not intend to change much of this setup. My biggest concern right now is using the single battery for trolling (hopefully a good portion of a day) and then trying to start the engine. I’m planning on purchasing another deep cycle battery for the trolling motor/accessories and saving the current battery for reserve/engine starting. I have done a search on this forum but my reading hasn’t really answered my questions. I did come up with some info to calculate the drain on the battery that I’ll look into this evening that might answer my question. But in the meantime, I guess my bottom line hypothetical situation is…..Would this setup be adequate for five hours of fishing at night using running lights, fish finder, intermittent use of the livewell aerator, and constant use of the trolling motor on the lower power ranges? Thanks for any advice.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would have a dedicated battery for starting the motor, and run all of the accessory's with a separate deep cycle battery or bank of batteries.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Josh. I'm with Buck on this one, but I went a lil further. I have a dedicated starting battery, a deep cycle battery for my trolling motor, and a deep cycle battery to run all my other electrics (sonar, bilge pump, lighting, livewell/baitwell, ect.). I keep them all up to snuff (or will when it gets here this week) with a DualPro 3 Bank onboard charger. I also keep a set of jumper cables on board in case of an emergency.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Josh, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there. I agree with the above posts. Get another battery designated just for a cranking battery. Sooner or later it will leave you stranded unless your motor has a pull start and it pull starts easily.

5. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks for the advice, it looks like I was leaning in the right direction.

6. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I'll take a look at the library too. It looks like I missed it when I was checking out the forum. Thanks again.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    A second or even third battery is a great idea. Keep in mind you need a good source to charge the batteries. They won't do the job if they aren't charged properly. Wabash River Bear went the right direction with the Dual Pro charger (in my humble opinion the best on board battery charger money can buy). No matter how many or the quality of battery, they are no good unless properly charged.

Thanks
    David