Another 7mm Mag question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bassadict69, Nov 14, 2005.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I have a new 7 Mag I had been trying to sell. I was reading the other post about that caliber & started wondering. I had thought it was a really BIG gun & didn't think I had any use for it. Then the other post started comparing it to a .270.

My shots are never over 150 yards & usually around 50-75 yards. Would the 7 Mag be too much gun? Ya'll have got me started thinking about keeping it now.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bigness doesn't necessarily have to do with bore size.Although a 35 Remington is bigger in dia it isn't nearly as powerful as the 7mm Mag.What do you hunt?I have a problem with the concept of "to much gun".An animal can only be killed so dead.The 7mm Rem mag is perfectly adequate with proper bullet selection,for most game in North America.You can also buy reduced recoil loads for more comfortable shooting.The MAG does not make up for poor aim and shot selection,so to answer your question by all means keep it and use it.It will give you a little more reach should you need it and if you hunt larger game like elk etc it will come into its own.It wont "Overkill" deer size game either.

3. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I only hunt whitetails.

The only reason I was thinking "too much gun" was because I have heard buddies tell me I wouldn't have anything left of the deer, you would blow up half the deer, etc.

I currently hunt with a 30-06 & have a time or two been put in a spot that I wished I could have had a little more reach. The 7 Mag would have come in handy.

So with the 7 Mag & 75 yard shots or so, I wouldn't need to worry about only finding half a deer? :confused: LOL

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If I had 10$ for every urban legend I've heard I could buy Santee Cooper."That gun will blow a deer half in two" is one of the most popular.Sure if you load the 7mm with 120 gr bullets at high velocity you will cause a lot of damage but with a good 160 gr.bonded core bullet you will get much the same effect as the 06 does.It would be like having a 300hp truck.Do you always need the 300hp probably not but its there when you do.Trust me I have seen literally hundreds of big game animals killed and have yet to see one in two pieces when we walked up to it.Just ask those guys that say those things how much actual shooting experience and game animals they have killed with the 7mm and I think yo can make the choice yourself.If you need help selecting a load or bullet combination just post on here and someone will jump in.

5. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Thanks Jim! I think I will keep it.

6. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    jims 100% correct , btw ive shot deer with light bullets fast opening and heaver bullets , for the most part ones no better than another when you shoot a deer , btw what would you rather have a shoulder that is wasted or the whole deer laying out in the woods wounded that you never find

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive never heard that one before, lol.
    I agree with Jim. You aint shooting no rocket launcher at them, its just a bullet. I know a couple people that hunt with the 7mag and theyve never blown a deer in half.

8. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    They may have been exagerating a little talking about blowing it in half but they all swear I will lose lots of meat.

The right placed shot & I won't lose any meat! :p

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have shot several Deer and Elk with a 7mm mag and a 264 win mag. Bullet selection is important . you want one that will not blow apart , I have used Barns x and nosler portion , either will work vary well. a well placed shot will not destroy much meat.

10. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use a 7mm mauser. It not as powerful as your mag but works fine for me. Take time for a good shot and you probably won't ruin too much meat. I hear people every deer season shooting five and six times and wonder what can they possibly be shooting at after the first or second shot.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Glad your keeping the gun bassadict69. It's a real nice caliber and a joy to shoot. I have seen way more deer shot with an 06 with bigger holes in them then any deer I have shot with a 7 mag. I think people just auto assume from hearing the magnum at the end that it's a huge bullet and will tear up a deer. When in actuality it can't be farther from the truth.

12. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I use a 7mm Mag and have shot deer as close as 15 yards without any problems. The key is, like everyone else is saying, be selective about your load and take a good shot. This gun has a lot of knockdown power and I have never had to track a deer I shot with mine.

13. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I shoot a 300. It all depends on where the shot hit the deer. Now i will tell ya if it hits that front shoulder blade i've seen it where only a little meat is holding that front leg on. If you catch it right in the ribs. It'll blacken the whole side of the ribs with jello like blood. But it will hit the floor like a brick.

My brother shot a big 7 a few years ago with his 7mm mag. He caught it right on the end of the nose and dropped that buck where it stood. The best i can figure either bone fragments went on up in the skull or just the impact to the head from the bullet got it. Either way it sure dropped like a rock. It was around 250 yards and on top of a doe. How he hit it in the nose still amazes me. :D

14. Bryan Roseberry

Bryan Roseberry New Member

7mm rem mag is what I hunt with and I love it. No loss of meat yet at all. It shoots very flat also if you ever do need a long shot. Pair it up with a Simpson scope and you will be on fire.

15. Bryan Roseberry

Bryan Roseberry New Member

I use Remington 150 grain Core Loct bullets by the way

16. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Don't remember what brand it is but I shelled out some major $$$ & bought a 3.5x12-50mm scope right after I got the gun. It is still sitting in the gun cabinet in it's original box.

I guess it's time to get some mounts & a box of shells & head to the range! :cool: :thumbsup:

17. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    I use a 7mm mag,and i love it.Like the other members have been saying shot placement is key,heck you shoot a deer with a 30-30 in the shoulder,at close range and it's going to damage meat also.As far as tearing a deer in two,at close range it will leave a pretty big exit hole,but that just means you have better blood trail if you do i have to track your deer.Normally when i get a good shot,they fall on the spot or within 50yds of where i shot them.

18. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I took my 7mag in this weekend & had my 6-18x50mm scope mounted on it. I can't wait to get it to the range.

Those of you with experience with this caliber, what ammunition do you recommend?

The guy at Bass Pro was big on the Federal Fusion. Anyone tried them?

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just about any of the premium brands will do you well.I have settled on 160 gr bullet weights as just about ideal.Some like the 150gr.I would select a pointed spire point load with a boatail but if most of your shots are at shorter ranges then the boatail is of limited use.You may have to shoot several brands to see what your particular rifle likes best.

20. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I am pretty sure I will have alot of shots at 75-100 yards. Some even shorter than that. It will be nice though for those times when I end up hunting a 200-300 yard shooting lane as has happened in the past. Nothing more agravating than sitting on one of those & watching deer cross 250-300 yards away while holding a 30-06. Hell, I would have had to aim for the tops of the trees to compensate for bullet drop! :cursing: