another 50lb+ blue catfish from wylie and new pb

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bowler man, Jul 2, 2009.

1. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    well i got a scare last tonight when i got the call ,:sad2: i was told that my lake record might have been busted and they needed my bigger scales to weigh it, :eek:oooh: and since the fellow who caught it was the same fellow who reeled his lines in drove 1/2 mile down stream to let me get in his boat so i could chase my 68Lb pb i felt it was the thing to do, so i left the house drove to the lake to help out . and yes it was a monster blue for wylie BUT i could tell it was a little short of mine :tounge_out: but still a trophy blue, before then his pb was a 10lb blue.:big_smile: but now it is a beutifull 58 1/2lb monster wylie blue. i want to be the first to give RANDY YELTON his props for a great fish and for a nice job of catch and release. :smile2::big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i forgot to mention it was 44" long and it was 32" in girth

3. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    congrats on the new pb thats a very nice fish

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Congrats on a great WYLIE BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. mhawk134

mhawk134 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Jeff, Uncle Randy is coming over in a minute to look at the pics you posted, is there anyway you could send me the high res to my email for him?

Hawk

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Awesome, awesome fish once again!! You guys have been all over them here the past month or so with the big fish on Wylie. The big fish have definitely started showing up.

7. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    good job rando wish i could have been there:big_smile:

8. mhawk134

mhawk134 New Member

State:
    SC
    If you was I probably wouldn't have caught an anchor, haha.

9. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for going and taking the pics:big_smile::big_smile: BOWLER MAN:wink:

10. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    not a problem :big_smile: i figured i owed him that :wink:

11. mhawk134

mhawk134 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Jeff, man I have yet to receive those pictures, do you think you could PM me and i could send you my email, maybe it wasn't sent to the right email. Just let me know man.

Hawk

12. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    Congrats RANDY thats a great wylie monster.

13. crappieminnow

crappieminnow New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I congrats you. ON your PB.!!=). thats was a very big fish..=)!. and i just wish i will catch one as big!.. But i am proud of you!!=)

14. clover cat hunter

clover cat hunter New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Let me start off by saying thank you Jeff(bowler man) for bringing the scales down, all we had were 50lbs and never thought we would need anything bigger. We got on the lake around 7:30 or so went and did a little bream fishing, had about 20 in the tank and decided it was time to go set up for cat fishing. Once we got close to where we wanted to fish we check the depth finder and found a place where we could be deep and shallow. Once we got all the rods out it wasn’t even 10 minutes before Charlie got him an 8lb blue. This was the first fish he ever caught on Wylie as he is a rookie when it comes to Wylie. So then we have some small runs here and there but nothing takes the bait. Then it starts raining, we see my brother and nephew putting up the top on their boat, while we put on rain suits to stay dry. About 30 minutes after the rain stops I hear a slight click that is just barley pulling the line on my Ambassador 6500. I pick it up take off the clicker and just let it barely take line while it runs up river. I let it slowly pull line for about 10 minutes, then I decided it’s time. I stand up, brace myself, and pull. It was at this time for the first time ever I felt the fish pull back, that’s when I knew it was a good one. I told Charlie to start reeling in the rods we were going after it. At this time I call over to my brother Dwayne in the other boat and tell him I got a big one and we have to chase it. Charlie gets the rods reeled in, then starts working on the front anchor, I’m one handed trying to undone the back anchor and fight the fish at the same time. The anchor on the back has a tangle in the rope and it goes into the water just as the front anchor comes out. I do not even go for the rope just told him to crank up and the chase was on.

I had to fight harder than ever we went a little ways up stream with Charlie driving the boat and the fish driving me. My heart was just a racing, I knew on the other end of the line was a monster. When I see this fish for the first time me and Charlie both were amazed and let out some words of excitement. Oh man what I fish this was, I tell Charlie to get the net, the fish comes to the surface and on first try the rookie nets the biggest fish I ever caught. Even once it was in the boat I couldn’t believe what happened, all these years of coming to Wylie and I never even dreamed of a fish like this, let alone me catching it. Standing there in amazement, just going through the motions of removing the hook, which was placed perfectly in the bottom on the mouth. I reach for the scales get ready to weigh the fish, and the scales black out. I yell over to my brother and nephew and tell them I’m coming with the fish and ask them if they have any big scales, all he has is a 20lbs.

We called Wayne(Net Man) to find out if he knows anyone on the lake with big scales, he says he’ll call Jeff and see what he’s doing. Wayne calls back and says Jeff is on his way and will be there in 15 minutes. Matt and Dwayne reel up and pull anchor, to get the fish down the lake. Me and Charlie go back to look for the anchor but the rope has already sunk to the bottom. With both boats racing down the river to the boat landing to meet Jeff, all I could say was man this is a big fish. We arrive at the landing and see Jeff standing on the dock with scales in hand. We place the fish on the scales and they read 58.8 lbs. Wow, a slow night turned into a great night. The biggest fish I ever caught, even going down to Santee, this fish was 3 to 4 times bigger than anything else.

Again let me thank Jeff for leaving his home and bringing the scales down, Charlie the net man, Matt and Dwayne for transporting the fish down the lake. See you guys out there this weekend, in hopes of landing another big cat.

15. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats, that is one heck of a fish. All you guys on Wylie have been pulling in some monsters:big_smile::big_smile::wink:

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats on the new personal best. That's one fine looking fish.

17. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    thats a sow!! congrats nice fish man!!:wink:

18. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    thats why i use floating rope on my anchor

19. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    That blue is a beauty, what a gut on that thing! I dream of catching something like that... :embarassed:

20. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great fish. Yall have been finding them bigguns lately. Good job cpr ing it.:wink: