another 1st deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rzrbk24, Nov 25, 2007.

1. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Ya'll, I finally killed my first deer this evening. It was the last doe day on Ft Bragg so I figured I better hit the woods even though it was raining. I got in my stand about 3pm and she stepped out about 3:45. I was set up on a clover trail that Ft Bragg planted this year. There is a huge thicket on the other side where I figured the deer were coming out from. She tore a$$ outta there like a buck was after her. Once she gave me a good shot I blasted her right through the right shoulder with my .270 and she dropped right in front of my stand. I was so excited but I didn't make a sound. I waited a min or 2 and hit the doe bleat and sure enough the buck that has been eluding me stepped out of the thicket. He was looking for the doe but got suspicious and took off up the hill behind me. I grunted at him a few times and he stepped out on the other side of my stand but I didn't feel comfortable making a left handed shot so he got off lucky tonight. He wasn't anything special, just a big cowhorn spike maybe 3 1/2 years old but I put alot of work into scoutin him. I seen him for the first time on Friday when he snuck up on me. It was cold and windy so I climbed down from my stand about 9am and sat on the ground. Bout 930 I got up to go back to the truck and he was 10yds away from me on the trail. He ran, I drew, clicked the safety off and mouth grunted at him 3 times but he never stopped. Oh well, I'll get him one of these days. I forgot to add that she was 103lbs live weight (not allowed to field dress deer on Ft Bragg) and was 5 1/2 years old.

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    big congrats on your first deer ,James hope it's the first of many .

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Way to go James congrad's on your first deer :big_smile:

4. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Congrats on a fine kill.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congradulations.....Be some good eatin

6. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Congrats on your first deer, James. Looks like a good one. Good luck on your next hunt.

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Congrats... I hope its the first of many to come for you.

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    congrats on your first deer

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Happy for ya James. Way ta go not giving up.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats! The first one is always the best,

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Congrats on your first deer. You will never forget this one. Thanks for sharing the memories.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Grats on yer kill! My first was a nice doe like that. I was so excited, it might as well have been a nice buck.

Looks like you have a great place to process her. For that I am jealous. Mine was processed in the back yard at a buddy's house. Had to be quick because she was quickly drying out in the wind.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to you. Hope there is many more.

14. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    congrats there on your first deer . thanx's fo share'n.