Annual fishing spendings?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bluehunter, Aug 10, 2009.

How much do you spend annually in fishing?

1. 100-500

2. 500 -1000

3. 1000-2000

4. 3000 -4000

5. 5000 plus

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I was having a conversation with a person and the topic came up about how much do I normally spend a year in fishing.I figured that was a great question because I fish quite often but of course have cut back lately due to economic reasons and so has a lot of my friends as well. To think about it, I was likely spending about 3000 dollars a year or more depending on if I took on an ocean trip which was around about 400 to 1000 plus depending on how many days I would be on the ocean trip. But the last few years with just fresh water trips, it has been about 3000 to 4000 anually.

Now when I calculate this I includes:

Licenses.
    gas - to and from destinations
    bait.
    tackle.
    boat maintainance and service.
    food supplies on trips - drinks, etc.
    personal supplies - hats, shirts, jackets, bug sprays, etc.
    entry fees to waters if applicable.
    launching fees to waters.
    motel fees if going long distances.
    camping fees if camping and fishing.
    or whatever fees you can come up with that helps to support your fishing habit within a year.

My question to you is how much do you guess you spend a year fishing? It is interesting to see how much of our yearly salary we spend on the sport we love so much.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I don,t want to know how much i spend on fish'n ,if i new i could not afford it :wink::smile2:,especialy if the wife found out :wink:

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    When i had a boat, I spent 5X more than I do now:smile2:

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man i cant even begin to count how much i spend in a years time.. probably near 1500!:eek:oooh:

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    ok Brian do you want my actual price or what i tell the wife? hehehehehe... since i have a boat payment with all that added up i had to go 3-4,000 it could be even more , i used to spend probably more than that on booze in a year. so i think thats a better trade off?:big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's a question that I really have no wish to know the answer. Several years ago I did a lot of extensive traveling in connection with an organization of which I am a member and kept records and receipts. I ended up shredding these accounts after a couple years without totaling expenses because I couldn't resolve the issue of putting a price tag on what to me is a passion. I'm sure that I've spent more than that amount fishing in the past 3-4 years. I only know that if I had some of that money back, I could pay cash for my dream boat and new truck to pull it with.:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and enjoy the moment!!!:wink:

7. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I don't realy know how much I spend but I'm sure my wife would love OR hate to know. But I fish both fresh and salt water so I would venture to sat around 5000 or more per year.:crazy:

John

8. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    It all depends if you are new and getting started, you have to buy all your equipment. Then a boat+motor+trailer=$$$$ then you have to equipped the boat another$$$ then buying gas, then food, then bait.
    BUT CATCHING THE CAT OF YOUR DREAMS=PRICELESS

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I voted 1-2000, But in all reality I plead the fifth.:cool2:

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was just figuring fishing stuff, but when I add in all the rest, its a lot more. Probably more than I want to know.

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It's a lot that all I know..

12. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    wow, that kinda let me know how it hit my pocketbook, i answered 1000 on the poll, but i was just figgerin equipment, after i thaught about bait, liscenses, gas to fishin spots, and all the little things it adds up to probably around 5000

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might get mad at myself,,,,,,I do have my Indiana license,,, a non resident KY license and a non resident MO license,,,,

I just picked up another boat,,, looking for a small motor,,,, gosh it's easy to spend money on fun,,,,

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would venture to say around 2-4000. Gas is expensive. It all depends on what I buy that year. I buy a pole or two every year. And i like to travel to fish as well. Then to top it all off I hunt like a madman as well. I wonder how much money I could save if I didn't hunt of fish. That will never happen tho.

15. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    With boat maint,gas,insurance, 5 state fishing licences and trips to Al,Tn,Ky,Wv and several trips to Lake Erie, plus fishing eqpt. I am sure it would exceed 4 grand easily. Never really kept account of the expence. May do that next year and see just what it amounts to.

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    no way will i post my expense..the wife might get a wild hair and read my posts:big_smile:

altho it isn't much, relatively speaking, it is probably quite a bit for no more fishing than i do.

17. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I wouldn't count the food since you'd be eating anyway.

I also wouldn't really count gas/hotel/camping either because if you weren't fishing, you'd probably spend it traveling for something else.

As a matter of fact, why count any of it at all? If you didn't spend it on fishing, what would you spend it on? If you didn't fish, you'd just spend your money on something else. At least with fishing (if you keep fish) and hunting, you're bringing home some food to offset a small portion of the cost.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I marked the pole at about 2000 per year. But if I take into account that fishing is therapeutic, release of pressure, relaxing, lesson learning from nature, and lots of fun. I"m way ahead of any expense.

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'd put me & Tina in the 100-500 catagory mainly cause we're pretty much established, live close to where we fish, and we're both tight wads (that's why i got a little light boat with a 15 hp, easy on gas and it can cover the ground when need be).

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont count any equipment cause most of it ive had for more years than most are old.i took a meter reading route from my local electric co and it pays almost 4 hundred dollars for 3 days work.thats how much i spend a month on fishing.when its gone i stop fishing till next month.