annoying carp

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by dolphinswmmr, Jun 4, 2009.

1. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have heard that when you catch carp you are not suppose to throw them back into the river. They are considered an invasive species and should be removed. Anyone know anything about this? This info has come from other fisherman so not sure how reliable it is. I had never heard of it before, but wanted to make sure.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Use em for bait.

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cut off tails and hang em over a bucket to collect the blood. After they have bled out scale em and cut em into bait chunks. Put all the cut pieces in to blood and bag it up!!! Great bait and stays on hook better than anything!!

4. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thank you, that was my suggestion, but wasn't sure if they were good bait. Now i know what to do with the annoying things.:wink:

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We used to go out with sweet corn and catch em for bait and just for fun. Lb for lb they are strong as hell. Once we bagged em just date the bags and freeze em. Be sure you hook the pieces through the skin, its like leather and a cat will almost never steal your bait!

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Hey Matt thats an awesome idea about the carp cause when I chum for cats I use soured corn and when the carp move in the cats just stop biting now I know what to do with them.:wink::cool2:

7. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    All carp are "invasive", in that most are from Asia at some point. Some species were introduced back in the mid-1800's, while some are as recent as 10-20 years ago. The bighead and silver carp are currently considered the worst now, and are recommended for removal. Common carp and others have generally been accepted as fish of the state.

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They are good chum too, oily and bloody! Chop em up and drop em in a chum bag.

9. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 New Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Up from where I come from we eat them. Now I know that most people are going to complain about the bones I know some people skin and then score them but I just fillet them like a bass and I have never had any problems with bones at all. Now a gar is a fish that I hate with every fiber of my being. lol

10. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    In allot of cook books they give you diffrent ways to fix them .Joy of Cooking is one .We smoke them after we brine them ,they are great with beer .

11. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    people from europre come here to fish for them big buffaloes and pay out the ass for guided service. the carp there anly get 5 or so pounds. crazy huh?

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    they were introduced here in the 1880's.They are omniverous and will bite readily on a variety of baits. Diploid [Sterile} grass carp {also known as white amur] were introduced here in the 1980's to control vegetation.{ all those big ones I caught at Shawnee Mission were stocked to keep the weeds down.Theoretically they are only vegetarians but I caught 40 over 30 pounds on liver. I think they were eating my soybeans and just found the liver. In 1993 some knucklehead fish farmer in Arkansas illegally imported silver and bighead carp to his ponds.When the flood of 1993 happened it flushed them into the Mississipi and the rest is history. I'm not good at links but if you google flying carp you will get some amazing videos and see how thick they can get.We don't have them that bad yet but we will eventually. They eat microscopic plankton as filter feeders and might be snagged, shot or speared or caught in a cast net but will not bite anything.Dennis hasn't caught a single one in a net this year yet.

13. sbrittharrell

sbrittharrell New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I live in mississippi and fish the Sunflower river and they are plentiful here thousands of them. Me and my dad findly caught one on a trotline. Didnt know what it was until i did following up on them through the internet. Boy them thangs get big and multiply fast. I bet they are fun to catch. that one we caught weighted 50 plus pounds. it was huge. But they have a purpose here on earth. But they are over whelming in population needs to be controlled.. Alot of people here have been hurt by them heading them in the head ....... What can u do? They are a trash fish......

14. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We just like to stick them with a arrow and use them for fertalizer.Big heads and silvers WILL be a problem before we know it so if you happen to net or catch/snag any just throw them up on the bank.I have heard that big heads are good to eat but i'm not brave enough to try them yet.

15. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I asked the GW in my area if it was legal to shoot grass carp with a shotgun out of a boat, when they jump out of the water. He said if he caught me doing it I better have an extra spot on my boat for him to join me.:big_smile:

16. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I guess every man has his own opinion but I hate it more then anything when I pull up to a fishing spot and see carp just laying there. I have been thinking about becoming a park ranger and all I can say is that someone will pay big time if found. I have seen 40lb flatheads laying on the bank at osage and it just makes me sick to see this. Trust me if the state didnt want them in there we would know.:wink:

17. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Carp are an invasive species, and they do cause major damage to river and lake bottoms by turning up the silt, but they've become far too established for us to do anything about it, so if you're not gonna use them for bait, fertilizer, food or whatever, please just put it back in the water and don't litter up the banks.

Grass carp while maybe an introduced species do serve a valuable purpose and in most places that have them they were put there intentionally and it's probably best that you release them when caught, grass carp can actually stop a fish kill before it happens by eating up all the algae blooms that will rob the water of it's oxygen content.... so if you don't like to see a lake full of dead fish floating all over the place it's probably best to leave the grass carp alone.

18. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Nobody likes stinky fish on the bank but there are only so many fish a body of water can support. Grass carp are invasive, and if you catch one I dont think the state wants it returned to the water. Grass carp can produce over 1000000 eggs, and can migrate up to 1000 miles in a season.

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    The asian carp Angie, (silver and bighead) are the ones I kill. They will jump in your boat, and occasionally you can catch them with a throw net. They are filter feeders, and they are killing the shad population in the Kansas River. They eat all the plankton, that shad eat, therefore forcing the shad to go elsewhere. I will keep one asian for bait (great blue cat bait), and the others, I slit their bellies with a knife and throw them back in.

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: