Anise Seeds

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by sscharlie, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I'm getting ready to try something new. I've put in my homemade bait receipt anise seeds thinking I may get a more natural oil from them. Been siting in the fridg now for 2 weeks marinading. I sure can smell the anise in it along with the crushed garlic. Anyone ever used the seeds before?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Stan. Never heard of the seeds before. Are they common?

3. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Well, one day while looking for some oil, (I didn't want the extract) I saw the seeds in the spice area and thought, hmmm, let's try it. Same goes for the vanilla, I use the pure stuff. I'd really like to try the real bean pods too. Thanks for the welcome.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stan Weelcome to the BOC. Your anise seed is an interesting idea. Let us know how it turns out.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Stan. Look forward to your report:wink:

6. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Well, Here's what happened this weekend, Sat. I went to Powerton lake (fist time there, 30 minute drive) to try my new bait, I'm trying out pork liver this year. Arrived around 9:30 and stayed till 2:30. Had a lot of nibbles and got 8 small channels under a pound. Sun morning, I decided to go to a little 6 acre tank within 4 minutes of my house, Bowen lake. Got there around 9 and stayed till noon. The first fish on was a 6 1/2 lb channel, I put it as my avatar. also got a 3lb beauty. I did take advise from the forums about using small pieces and it worked great. So, I can't say yea or neah about the seeds making a differance yet. The pork liver is working so far. I do like it because it's firm and I can really wip-it out there and won't come off the hook. Also used a smaller hook (3/0)

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the reprot Stan. Nice avatar too:wink:

8. freakyfish

freakyfish New Member

State:
    florida
    I found this tip one day by searching anise oil one day.I don't know where you can buy it...maybe a health food store of some sort but I can tell you a cheap way to make it. all it takes is mineral oil and anise seeds. You can find the anise seeds in the spice section of major food stores. Look for the packages ( usually .79 cents a pack.) simply boil the anise seeds in the oil and let it sit over night to cool off. You can make the scent stronger by adding another pack of anise seeds to the oil. Once it cools off, simply strain the oil to remove the seeds and particles. Place the cooled oil in a spray bottle and use. Word of warning, you have to pay attention to the oil while it boils. Once you start smelling the anise, remove from the heat source and let it sit or you will burn the oil. It get's pretty funky and burning oil with anise will have your place stinking like licorice for a long time. I know from experience.~good luck catchin.'

9. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Thanks Brad, I'll have to give it a try. One nice thing about the BOC is you learn something every day for sure. Reps to ya.