Anise oil

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 1sporticus, Oct 18, 2008.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello fellow BOCers, I just had a fellow tell me that he sprays anise oil on his boots when he is deer hunting, and it hides the human smell. Plus the deer seem to like it. So has anyone ever heard of this? or maybe has even tried it? Let enquiring minds know, I'm not sure if he is right about it, or maybe he is pulling my chain, What cha think? Later Andy

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a new one to me ,Andy.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    There is no doubt about it covering human scent. Now as for the deer liking it:confused2: I don't know..:confused2:I believe he might be yankin your chain Bro. I would think something that's not normally smelt by deer would alarm them, But deer are curious creatures they might follow the scent right to ya. Out of curiosity. If ya decide to try it keep us posted on the outcome.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Never heard of using anise oil for that but in my opinion that is a very expensive way to hid your scent when you can just use so many other things on the market that is cheaper too.

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I don't know how well deer like it , but when I was a kid , trapping I used it as lure for about everything , even got in the habit of putting in a big bunch of black licorice and spitting it around my traps. Don't know that it helped , but it didn't seem to hurt.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Oil of Anise is just a plant extract so I don't see where it will scare anything away. Although it is strong smelling and tasting it is natural and not chemically altered. There are other plants that are as pungent in the wild so I don't think it will scare the deer just seem different or strange and will peak their curiosity.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've smelled some attractants that smell like black licorice. So some of the lure makers are using it for curiosity attractants. Smaller, younger deer are curious. That's not so true with the big boys.

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The deer lure " trails end" has anise in it but I couldn`t tell you if it works or not.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    :confused2: Hmmm, this mean i can eat black jelly beans while i'm in a tree? I never heard of it, but that don't mean it won't work.:wink:

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I could see deluting it in a spray bottle with water and use as a cover spray mabey (if you were hunting around honey suckles or something)or straight to the bottom of your boots for walking in. as said there are hundreds of different cover sents out and unless you already had the stuff to make and try its probably cheaper and easier to go to wally world and pick it up.

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I guess that works if you drop many it will start to look like the bottom of your tree is a litter box for deer lmao:smile2:

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use some Tink's 69 on my boots for walking to my stand. But I'm not much of a believer in cover scents. A deers sense of smell is so far beyond ours I think it's a waste. If a deer is downwind in your scent cone you are busted. How much cover scent on a smashed skunk do you think you would need so a human couldn't smell a skunk within 100yds downwind? I don't think cover scents hurt, but I think their purpose is to make money.

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Every illegal Bear Baiter in Virginia is using Anise Oil. Can't say much for deer but Anise draws Bears in Virginia like Flies to Honey. The bears assume there's a nice pile of food waiting and come a running.:smile2:

14. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I have used vanilla extract on my drag rag before and it does work. I have had bucks follow the trail right to the tree I was in.I like to use coon scent up in the stand because coons live in trees it's natural to the deer and there are coons everywhere.I always spray down with scent away when I get to my stand.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I guess I'm lucky when it comes to deer hunting I hunt at home where the deer a use to smelling me scent anyway. Never use cover or attractant scent.