anise oil

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by sambo, Dec 22, 2007.

1. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    has anyone had any experience using anise oil for an attractant ? I read somewhere that this stuff is dynamite bait additive . Going fishin tomorrow and I got some at wally world its right next to the extracts . If i have any luck I will let everyone know.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used anise off and on for several years now, and while I do think it's beneficial, I certainly wouldn't call it 'dynamite'. I once used anise, garlic, and shrimp right alongside each other, and I couldn't tell any difference in the number of bites; each one seemed to work as well as the other two.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had a lot of success putting a good slug in a net tub of chicken liver.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with jerry i have compared it to other attractants and found it the same. i think any oil will increase the distance at which sent travels in the water though. i used to use a combination of veggy oil with anise and salt mixed together. i dipped my cut bait in it for channel cat fishing. it seamed to draw the fish to it pretty fast compared to the plain cut. any more fresh cut bait and danny kings is all i use for channels.:wink:

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I think that it works pretty good in the summer for channel cats but for a trophy blue cat stick with large fresh bait from the same water that your fishing.

6. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sam,
    Caution on the Anise oil you buy at Walmart it is not the pure Anise oil. it is a extract of anise oil. You need to read the fine print it is 70 % alcahol. This wartered down oil is nothing like the real 100% pure Anise oil. I have used both and the best is the real stuff. try this website. https://www.iherb.com

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The pure stuff can sometimes be purchased in the pharmacy section of these stores.

8. flathead03

flathead03 New Member

State:
    IN Indianapoli
    I also used anise oil in chicken liver and you have to let it soak over night it works ok

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I just used it in place of garlic powder when curing the livers. Couldn't tell that it worked any better than the garlic.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't tried it , but have heard others talking about it working well.

11. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    www.LiquidLure.com sells a good fish attractant. Ive been using his Triple X formula for years now, and it is the best!
    I'm pretty sure he uses anise oil, with other ingrediants that help attract fish, which also gets the fish to hold onto the bait longer.

I always have good fishing when i use it.. For BAss and Catfish.

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    you can usually find the pure anise oil in any of the self owned pharmacies. It's kinda expensive for such a small bottle but a little goes a long way. I have even tried black licorice and black jelly beans cause they are made with anise oil but, I didn't have much luck with the candies.

13. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    well i finally got to go try this stuff out . i think it worked pretty good ,i caught 8 channel cats in one spot before they quit biting . also used worms and had about the same luck with worms on one pole , and livers soaked in anise on another pole. but i put both lines out at the same time and caught three cats on anise before i caught any on worms.