Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Anise Oil for Catfish

54K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  bigkatking 
#1 ·
I've seen a lot of you use anise oil in your baits. I wondered where I can but this. I've tried grocery store and only found anise seed. I tried a drug store and they did not have anything. Where can I buy anise oil?

#4 ·
which department would you find it in??
and what kind of baits would you use it on??

I know we used to use these bass lures called "bass stoppers", which smelled like anise, the bass couldn't resists them...........but what kind of bait would you put this on for cats??

#6 ·
I crush the seeds with a heavy rolling pin and then let the seeds soak in vegetable oil. It will give you the same "smell".

If you want the seeds finer you can use a electric coffee grinder. That will make it easier for the oil to soak in the "smell".

#9 ·
I find it where you buy the spices and extracts like Vanilla, almond or coconut. I bought mine at Albertson's, but you may look at the top of the bottle and consider pouring into something with a smaller opening or a small mister. I have the bottle with the huge opening so it just pours out when all I need is a few drops. I end up putting it on my fingers to put it on the line/sinkers and I hate the smell of black licorice. Don't bother with UZZO liquor, too expensive like someone said.

#11 ·
Anice Oil comes in different concentrations, and significantly different prices. The variety available in the spice or baking section is a lot cheaper and should be just as good for bait. I couldn't find any and had the Pharmacy order some for me. A little bottle like Mecurcrome cost about $10 but a little goes a long ways. It just takes about six drops to a 2 gallon bucket of punch bait.

#12 ·
I found at Walmart in the fishing oils/lures/sprays they have a black spray can with "BANG" in big letters on the front of it and it is pure anise oil or so it claims. I spray it on livers, worms, stink bait or anything else before I toss it out when the fishing is rough and it does, at times, seem to help. Ice fishing for Bluegills and Crappie it really helps, but that's a different story. Hey, don't knock it, I don't like buying bait either so I try to catch some.

#17 ·
I get my anise oil from a bakery supplier, Its kinda high in that qty but this pint has lasted me going on 7 years now, and still got better than 3/4. Whether in livers on night crawler. Cats like anise oil. Tried injecting into night crawlers, but there like them High dollar tires, self sealing. So Now I inject my worms with a little air to keep them just off the bottom.

#19 ·
Go anywhere that sells candy making supplies. Its usually called anise extract. I've tried it on some dried chicken livers but haven't had too much luck yet. I'm not gonna give up though. Oh, it also makes your car smell like licorice:big_smile:

#22 ·
a few years ago like 20or so texas fisherman magazine had a recipe for soap bait. I modified the recipe or they toldme about it, by adding a ounce or two of anise oil it worked great. I have since lost the recipe, Iwould like to make some now these were the basic things in the soap. beef tallow, lard, lye, borax, amonia, water and the anise oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.