Animal Witness...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ...The Michael Vick case. Did any of you watch it? I did, and thought it was a very good program.

It is very nice to know that out of 49 dogs seized, only 2 had to be euthanized. One for aggression issues, and one for medical reasons. The rest have been adopted out to caring homes. One is even a therapy dog now.

I think the show did a good job of dispelling a lot of the myths surrounding pitbulls...even those that have been involved in fights. It just sucks when dogs are abused the way they are, then just euthanized because nobody is willing to go to bat for them. A real lose-lose proposition. Alot of shelters still won't take in pits, let alone adopt them out, and they just get euthanized basically for their looks and inflamed reputation. I think they at least deserve a chance to be evaluated, and a chance to live just like any other dog.

I'm not an HSUS fan, and PETA is the bottom of the barrel. If PETA had their way, we wouldn't even be allowed to have pets. I am, however, glad these dogs got a second lot on life. Despite their mistreatment, then subsequent months of isolation in animal shelters, these dogs still wanted nothing other than to make someone happy...to be loved. A pitbull's jaws are not (in my opinion) their trademark, but their desire to please people is.

Anyways, this was a good show. It was on Animal Planet Sunday night. I missed it, but caught the rerun. If you get the chance to watch it, I highly suggest it. It was the first in a new series called Animal Witness.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats a BS myth about Pit Bulls. Ive never owned one myself but have had many friends owned them over the years. They are smart and very loving. I did own a wolf myself and was raised with a german shepard, both males and both not-fixed. Both were best of friends. Its how you raise them, just like humans. Ill just stop here before I say something that might get me banned. :angry:

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any dog can be aggressive, be it pitbull, or any other type of breed, some breeds more agressive than others. The problem lies not in the dog, but the training it recieves or does not recieve.

As for the saving the pitbulls, and the people who recieved these dogs, have to realize they were trained for fighting, and need to be aware that they could have a tendency to be agressive. Personally I would not have adopted one of those dogs.

On that subject, there is a Rescue Agency for just about every breed of dog there is. Right now I am looking for a English Mastiff, what I like about the idea of getting a dog from there as opposed to the pound, or someone wanting to get rid of an animal, is these people match the dog to the family. In other words, if the dog does not get along with kids, other pets, ect, they will not allow you to adopt the animal, if you have kids and other pets. There usually is a fee, but it is no where near the amount that a dog would cost if you bought it off a puppy mill.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    did vick get uthenized? thats all i want to see.:wink:

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I missed it but I hope they play it again. Most shelters in my area won`t even take in pitbulls regardless of temperment.

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    It was a good show!
    The problem with these dogs are the power they have in their bites.
    They are no different then other dogs then that really, but when they
    do attack and bite, they do a lot of damage which makes them much more
    dangerous.

Personally, I have never met one that was mean or has bitten anyone.
    I have however been bitten many times by little bitty dogs since I am a carpet installer and am in different homes everyday.

7. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    it is illegal to own a pit in my county I like pits myself but I have seen them turn on a dime it was like a light switch happy and playing till this other puppy got into his reach then bam throat hold blood everywhere we finally got them apart and had to put the puppy down why he attacked I dont know but it was nasty

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ahhhh, darn it Matt...I forgot all about it. I wanted to see it too. Well at least you say it was geared for us pit lovers and didn't make us look to bad.

Zeb, you must have been workin ? I know you would wanna see it also. I just plain out forgot about it .

Thanks Matt
    -Jim-

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    you know pits have got a bad rep cause of the moorons fighting theam and abussing theam iv had two of theam i raised theam from pups thay was big wuses thay loved kids played with the cats my sisster adopted a pup from one of thoes places that saves pits thay even do back ground cheacks on you befor thay let you adopt she had a little girl two monthes ago that bad pit sleeps beside the baby any strange nois the pit investagates and seems to be garding the baby its all in how thay are raised its not the dogs falt how it acts its the morrons raising them the only resen i dont have one now is my life stile is more suited for a lap dog now ann my little rat terrier thinks shes a pit lol :cool2:

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My male/female you can take food right out of there mouths and you get the look like hey I was eating that now quit messing with me and give it back.......all my neighbors love Scrappy hes awsome:roll_eyes:
    I wish Id gotta see the show but I was out back tinkin & dinkin playin with my pit bulls

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of the program was about what it took to get a prosecution. The county wanted nothing to do with the case, and the publicity that came with it. One officer went over his boss' head, and called in the feds because the county would not issue a search warrant for dog fighting. He lost his job for it too.

In regards to the dogs, there was a team designated to evaluate the dogs. They were told that they were the worst of the worst dogs. No good for nothin'. When they got to see the dogs, all they wanted to do is run and play, and be loved on. They didn't even have problems with the other kennel dogs, or each other. Some were a little bit fearful of people, and cowered down, but got over that pretty quickly when they were allowed out of the kennel, and run.

Pretty happy ending, I thought, for the dogs. It's a pretty rare thing these days. I think with all the publicity, they were kinda forced into giving the dogs a second chance. Hopefully, it will become a trend. The pitbull is a true American icon, and does not deserve the stigma that's been attached to them imo. 99.99% of these dogs never harm a soul. Laws against them are straight wrong I think. Hopefully this program opened a few important eyes.

12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think they should send him over here for his next dog fighting. The Afghans fight dogs also. The dogs over here are mostly Mastiff mix, big dogs, and last year there were 200 people at a dog fight and the Taliban, sent in a suicide bomber, and killed about 70 people. Today bad he wasnt in attendance.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thats one thing i cant and will not go along with dog fights are just plain crule

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree. there is no place in this world for dog fighting:angry: It really chaps me when people equate dog fighting to MMA. Those guys that fight do it on thier own not with some @#%##$@ forcing them

15. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
  16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M