Animal Planet - River Monsters/Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by D_Weezy, Jan 15, 2010.

1. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I was watching a River Monsters video and noticed the rod holders that Jeremy Wade was using. It was kind of hard to see them clearly. It looked like they were made out of 1/2" round steel bar and two pieces of 2" diameter steel tubing. I have been thinking about making some of these myself. I will be building them out of 1/2" diameter-36" long rebar and 2" diameter-1/8" wall DOM steel tubing, with a triangle shaped piece of steel welded to the lower end of the bar, to keep the bar from turning or pulling out of the ground. I know that, they will be very heavy but they should work well at the Ohio River. I will be hammering them into a gravel bar. It is pretty hard to try and place a rod holder into the ground here, due to all of the large rocks beneath the surface. I am not sure exactly of the tubing placement yet. I am thinking on making it about 18" from the top of the top cup, to the bottom of the bottom cup. The bottom cup will be 3" or 4" long with a strap across the bottom, to keep the rod handle from sliding through. The top cup will be 1 1/2" or 2" and have a slot cut in it, in order for it to be bent open, to accept the rod handle. This way I can bend it in and tighten it up, to better hold the rod handle and keep it from falling out. This will make it easier to retrieve the rod from the holder, without raising the rod all the way up out of the holder. I know that my explanation is very poor but it will make better sense after you see them. In my defense, it is late and I am pretty tired. If he can use these for Wels catfish, they should work really well for Flathead. If anyone has photos of the rod holders that Jeremy Wade uses on his show, please post them for me. Thanks in advance.

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Sorry about it being so hard to read. Someday I will remember to make paragraphs.:doh:

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Be sure to post some pics of the finished product.

4. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    Any pics of the finished holder? Soooo curious!

5. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I have to order the steel tubing this Friday. I am not sure when I will get to weld them up. The weather is pretty bad. I don't have a place to weld inside, so it might be a while. I was just improving on my idea and drawings a little while ago. I hope to get the steel and a decent day to weld pretty soon. I want to try and free-line a really large live bait with these. This is an idea that I've had for a while. I have also drawn up a holder for use on the pier at Pike Island Dam. They are on the same concept as the bank rod holders. I would show my drawings, but my scanner is not working. I promise to put the photos up, whenever I get them built. These things will be super heavy duty.

6. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    Cool stuff... Yeah, I saw that show and i'm curious what yours would look like!

I'm in the process of putting together bank holders as well. I was thinking of using angle aluminum (3 feet) and attaching 1/2 inch tubing (6 inches long) to one end and sit it in the 90 degree angle of the aluminum. I was going to use "driftmaster" type rod holders (3/8 inch) and just slip them in the tube. The angle aluminum (3 dollars) is very sturdy and by using the tube (PVC for 1 dollar), it would allow me to rotate the holder to set the rod in the direction of my cast. I was thinking of attaching the PVC tube to the aluminum using duct tape or those circular screw clamps... If the PVC isn't strong enough i'll use steel tubing. What do you guys think?

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
  8. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Ordered the steel tubing today. The rod holders should be in the works shortly. I am really excited about building these. Right now I have a couple of bite detectors in the works and I am about to build another bait tank from a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler. I have so many fishing projects that I am working on, I can hardly keep up with them. The bite detectors run on two AA batteries. It has a buzzer and led light. They will be activated by a drop away bobbin with a mercury switch. When the bobbin snaps free from the line, it will fall over and the mercury switch will make contact for the bite detector to work. The small plug coming out of the top of the bite detector is where the bobbin mercury switch will be plugged in. I will have to see later, how long I will be making the bobbin mercury switch cable. I was thinking about maybe 12 inches long. This will work with any rod and reel.

Attached Files:

9. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Started cutting my materials today for my River Monsters style rod holders. These things are going to be heavy duty. They will be heavy but I feel that the extra weight will be worth it. I will be carrying them on my backpack anyhow, so what is a few extra pounds. I am thinking about dipping the top rod holder cup in Plasti Dip to protect the rod handle when placing it in and out of the holder. I don't have an abrasive chop saw, so I have to cut all of my parts with a reciprocating saw with fire and rescue blades. This takes more time but these blades work surprisingly well. The welding will have to wait, since we are supposed to get rain. I will post some pictures when I get one done.

10. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
  11. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I was cutting the steel tubing with a reciprocating saw and having a heck of a time. I needed to mount my vise down somehow, so I decided to build a workbench. I went to Lowe's and that turned into enough material for two workbenches. Then I realized how badly my garage needed cleaned, so I started cleaning my garage out. Now the garage is in a semi-clean condition and the vise is mounted solidly down to one of the new workbenches.
    I will be cutting the rest of the materials soon and getting them put together. I was actually looking at a Dewalt 14" blade metal-cutting chop saw, when I went to buy the wood for my workbench. I will probably be buying it within the next month or so. This will certainly speed up the process of my builds. It won't be much longer now for the rod holders. I promise to post pictures as soon as I get them done.

12. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Ok, I finally got the rod holders together. I just have a few more things to do. I need to grind out some of my rough welds (it is a pita trying to weld in high winds - my excuse :smile1:). I still need to weld the triangle below the bottom cup to keep them from spinning in the ground. I will be primer and painting them to keep the rust down. I am thinking about adding some non-slip drawer liner to the top cup, this might keep the bait casting rods from turning over in the rod holder. if it doesn't, oh well. They will still be great rod holders. These photos are the upper and lower cup before attachment. The next post is the semi-finished rod holders.

Attached Files:

13. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Can't wait to use them.

Attached Files:

14. AZBADBOYCATFISH

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
  15. AZBADBOYCATFISH

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    My father inlaw made these for me and I painted them....

Attached Files:

16. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    AZBADBOYCATFISH,

Those rod holders look really sturdy. Looks like your FIL had the same idea that I did. Think about how strong they would have to be for the biggest fish you could possibly catch, and then make them stronger. I think I am going to weld a bolt to the rebar, behind the upper cup. This will give me a striking point, to hammer the rod holder into the gravel bar or hard ground. This way I will not be striking the upper cup or the top of the rebar. Like I always say, I love homemade stuff.

17. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Your design for the rod holders are sweet! I'm with you on making your own stuff, my buddies tell me they think I like building the stuff more than I like to use it! LOL nice stuff you got there

18. AZBADBOYCATFISH

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    Yeah a striking point would be nice....some times its a little hard to put my holders in the ground since I really dont have a striking point... But I have been carrying a steak that I have with a little hammer and I make a pre-Hole to make it a little easier..got that tip on here from the bank fishing post..

19. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Got all of them welded and primer. I welded on an oval head carriage bolt for a striking point, it works great. I also welded on a piece of triangle shaped steel to keep them from turning. I painted two so far. I am making two for the Wife (she wanted white), two for myself (blue) and two for a friend (red). I will be buying the spray-on Plasti-Dip to finish the upper cup.

Attached Files:

20. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    A few more photos. Ended up making nine. I watched Jeremy Wade's video again, when he used these rod holders. His still look to be made from larger rebar :confused1:. Maybe it is just my imagination. These should work fine for my use.

Attached Files: