Animal Carcasses

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kyredneck, Feb 8, 2007.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've heard about, and now have read about some fishermen tying carcasses (like a roadkill possum, coon, etc.) to a limb overhanging the water (in warm weather) in order to attract fish to the spot by the maggots dropping into the water. Anybody ever done this? Sounds interesting (if you stay upwind). It's supposed to be effective for panfish. I'm just wondering if anyone's got any experience with the technique and if cats are attracted also.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't heard of that, but...

I do know of several farmers in Oklahoma that put a grate in the middle of their farm ponds. Any cattle they have die (of natural causes) get dumped on that grate. The catfish (and all the other fish) in their ponds hang around that grate and feed off of the maggots falling down and tend to get rather large.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I have actually thought about doing that, never have yet, but i think i will in this river behind my house

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It stands to reason that if the maggots attract panfish, flats and channels would come after the panfish.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After catching some of those channels (and bass) in there ponds they found bunches of maggots in their stomachs. They aren't just there for the baitfish. They LOVE those maggots. I have heard of people having very good luck using them as bait too.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That sounds a little extream. I dont think I can go that far.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Hehe, Charlie the carcass would have to be fresh before I'd tie it to a limb, then I'd wait a couple weeks for the maggots to stop dropping.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've seen this around here too to feed a crappie pond.

9. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I have most definately heard of it for a long time. I have not done it but have also considered if being feasable for small ponds where you want to remove small fish(to small to eat). I though about a well shaded basket so the maggots can easily fall to the water. You may want to check with a F&G warden about possesion of animals in your area. Where I live picking up roadkill espically deer is a no no. I had though about strapping coyootes or deer over the water, kind of gives your spot away though:lol:. I think I smell Rob fishing up wind over there.:confused2:

10. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When I was younger I worked at a fish market the river was right behind the market we had a dock that we fished off of .We took a bucket and put holes in it and filled it with fish guts.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sort of an opportunistic version of the same thing:

I have heard stories a few times (enough times and from different unrelated people that I believe there's something to it) of folks finding a dead animal of one sort or another floating in a river and when they fished near by they caught a bunch of catfish. Same thing, I guess. The carcass starts to rot and the maggots and bits of flesh falling off act as chum.

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We see this all the time in tailraces. A fish gets caught coming through the turbines. Sometimes a good sized fish comes through that doesn't get eaten whole, then all the fish below it follow that fish as it goes downstream eating chunks that fall off or chewing chuncks off. Saw one spoonbill that had been caught and that thing had fish boiling all around it as it floated downstream.

13. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    It's pretty much the same thing as chumming.

14. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can't wait for Spring to come,That sound's so kool,If ya think about it Hek yea it would work....................

15. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Yes I have heard of people doing it, but never tried it myself.

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Oh well, I meant to say “wait a couple weeks for the maggots to start dropping”, not stop.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Well theres a new use for those ground hogs that are so fun to shoot and so abundant along the roads dead.

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I don`t think I could handle the smell to put one in the water maybe with a gas mask

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Ppl do that with chickens too. They hang a fresh killed chicken up and let it bleed out slowly. Then in a day or two they start fishing the area,Some of the old timers say it works well.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ground hogs were a common critter when I was growin up, now they're not so common. The consensus is that since the coyotes have returned, ground hog population has plummeted.