Angelina River, Jasper Texas

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by jsharris, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    who all fishes this river and what kind of luck have you had here

2. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    well i am going to attemp to bait 3 holes on the angelina river today. i dont know how good it is going to work. i soured 2 buckets of hen scratch for a week and also a bucket of milo for a week. the milo smells like doodoo lol the hen scratch actually smells worse. i thouight that milo soured faster? anyway i am baiting the today and i will go back saturday and test them out. i will try to bring a camera so i can show you how good i did. who knows i might just catch a bunch of babies..

3. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey, Jason,

How'd your fishing go yesterday? With all that preparation, surely you didn't go home empty handed...

Looking forward to the pictures, as well.

Gary

4. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    it was a pretty day. kinda windy but that was ok because it cooled things off a little. i mainly fished with shiners and punch bait and i dint catch a single catfish!! i did catch some crappie to my supprise. my wife caught 3 bass which was the first time she had been fishing since she was a little girl of about 8 years of age. one of the crappie that i caught was about 13 inches long!! that was the biggest i had ever caught before. i think that the cold front the night before moved the fish out from where i baited. i talked to 3 different people at the ramp and they all said they didnt catch anything and one of them was runnning trot lines and only caught 2 borderline catfish. i dont know about this river. i have never had any luck catfishing out there. the lake i do fine bt angelina is a different story. any suggestions??????

5. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i Have been doing a lot of shiner fishin latly which is not very common due to the xpence. usually i use wacky worm (pumpkin seed red, sour grape, cotton candy). i use a weighted hook and i also use a offshore angler split ring. you put the ring round the body of the worm about the place where you would normally hook it and then hook the ring instead of the worm and you can catch coutless numbers of bass on one worm. really saves you alot of time and mony in the long run. here is a picture of the rings that i use. they are the same rings that you tie your line to on a crank bait or top water. it also gives your worm a little more weight so it throws a little better. anyway on the angelina i have been catchin the fire out of these little fish on shiners. i have been catching some good size ones also. there is no size limit on them so yo ucan keep what ever you want. i guess about a year ago i was fortunate enough to catch a 3 1/2 lb kentucky bass on a white road runner. man was that a nice fight. About 5 years ago there wasnt a catch limit and we were catching about 30 a morning but we didnt know what a kentucky was. we thought that they were regular largemouth so we ended up throwing back most of them because only a few were over 14 inches. it doesnt matter what part of the angelina you fish you will always catch somethiing. i have never come home empty handed.yo ucan fish the sloughs banks or in the middle of the river and still catch some good fish. my dad lost one about 2 months ago on a black and blue jig that prolly weighed over 8 pounds. it seems like everytime we go we catch one over 4 pounds.

Attached Files:

6. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    jsharris,

I haven't been on here in a while but I do fish on the angelina occasionaly. Where are you located? I have a friend that lives on the Angelina a little ways down from the bridge. And I have a friend that lives on the Neches above the Forks and I go up there alot. I know of some lakes on the Angelina that you can really catch the white perch in right now. Send me a message. We may need to go fishing.

7. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i live in buna on callier loop off of hwy 62. i havent had much time to fish lately as i have to many things going at the same time. on the other hand i just started a new job last month at DETCOG in jasper which is about 10 minutes from the angelina. i think that i am going to start fishing when i get off in the evenings. the last couple of fishin trips i have been docking at bevels port near the fish hatchery and going upstream 3 or four bends. i am kinda new to fishing for catfish by the way of the pole (R&R). well i have done it in ponds but what i have dont with a R&R on the lakes and rivers for catfish is nothing to speak of. i am trying to learn. i have access to a 16 ft flat bottom with a 50 hp motor. its not bad has a little 30 lb thrust minn kota. no livewell. i just recently put carpet in it. it has 2 seats and a side stearing consol. i helped my friend refurbish this boat and did most of the work so in exchange he said i could use it any time i need it. i think i have used it more this month than he has for the past 3 years.since he never uses it i have it at my house right now. it is great for trot lining due to the wide open space in the middle. i think this would be a perfect catfishing rig. if only i knew the proper way to catfish. only problem is it doesnt have a seat for when you are driving so i have to sit on a five gallon Sun bucket filled with old dog food. i am currenty getting supplies together to build a baitwell at my house so i can attemp to raise shad or shinersor someting aquatic. i found a little almost dried up cattle pond last year that was full of baby sun pirch all about an 1" o 1 1/2" i tried to keep them alive with bubble boxes but it didnt work out so well. anyway if you do want to go fishin i get off at 5 every evening. pm me and i will give you my cell. maybe we can set something up. i do know how to catch a bunch of bass and white pirch on the angelina

8. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live close to the Angelina, about 10 miles or so from where it comes out of Sam Rayburn.

I have been fishing it all my life, mostly for bass.

What catfish I have caught there were on trot-lines, mostly blues and channels.
    There are a lot of catfish in the river I just have always r&r fished for bass and white perch.

I am just beginning to see the light after the hurricane, still not back in my house yet but will be soon.

I haven't done any fishing lately but talk to a lot that have, mostly bass fishermen ... they been doing pretty good just below the gates.

I've got a 14' flat-bottom and a 10hp motor...plenty for this river.

My main technique for trotlines is to sour a bucket of milo then pour it into panty-hose legs and tie that to my main line....catfish will swarm the place looking for the milo and eat your perch up. (I catch sun perch or bream in a clover leaf trap for bait)
    Catch a lot that way.

Know some real good river lakes hidden back off in the edge of the woods that are loaded with bass and white perch but I never tried to catch cats in them.

9. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i know a few places off of the river myself. i guess now that i think about it i have been fishing this rver for about 8 years. wow does time fly by. one of which you can only reach when it is generating or by pero or really small flatbottom. it is called horseshoe lake. it is full of cypress knots and if it is low enough a even a flat bottom caint go bak there. i have caught a 3 1/2 lb kentucky on a white road runnerin that little lake. i have also caught one that was a little over 3 back there. my uncle has a camp right accross from the intrance on the main river. he has caught a few flat heads with an R&R on shiners on the little creek that runs next to it. i have caught a few channel on shiners on that little creek.

10. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know where that is ...at least i know where the Horsesheoe Lake that we call by that name is...about half way or so between the Hwy 63 bridge and Bevilport on the west side of the river.
    Used to fish in there when I was a kid...back in the 60's...friend's parents had a camp on the river right across from there.

Know another one just a little way below Bevilport that you have to drag about 50 yards in to.
    It's on the government land.
    I ain't never fished anywhere with so much action. It don't get a whole lot of pressure due to the trouble to get in it. Full of BIG white perch, BIG bass and HUGE alligators. Gets exciting with them gators sometimes.

I was on a lease for about 10 years that is between the Neches and the Angelina and borders the government land. Bee Tree Slough comes right up in the middle of it.
    The pipeline and the high line that cross the rivers both went through it. Good times out there....till the owner of the land decided to make it a private hunting club for their family and kicked us all off.

11. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah thats the same horseshoe lake i am talkin about. there is a creek accross from a sandbar a few bends up from bevel port and i think it is called indian creek. if i am not mistaken that is were the fish hatchery releases all the baby fish. i have had some luck there. you might see me in a 16 foot green flat bottom with a 50 hp force. sittin on a bucket behind the steering wheel. i intend on fixin up a chair for when i am driving soon. lol

12. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    That is Indian Creek and it does feed and flow out of the state fish Hatchery.

Talk about some great fishing...I've taken groups of kids camping and fishing at the fish hatchery.
    They let the groups fish in a canal that runs down between the brood ponds and they sre stuffed with all kinds of fish.
    It's all catch and release but the kids have a ball catching those hungry fish.

I don't know about them releasing any fish into Indian Creek.

Have y'all ever been down around the forks of the rivers ?
    ...or up into Bee Tree Slough.

Haven't been out there since Rita hit, and I've heard it ruined Bee Tree with fallen trees.

I should have my boat back in the water soon and I'll watch for a flatbottom with a bucket for a seat in the back.

I have a 14' camo'd both boat and motor.

13. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    sorry i rarely go down that fat. i dont know an of those small lakes and cuts down there. i need to get me a datailed map of the angelina, do you know where i might be able to ge one?

14. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    They have topographic maps available.

I think you can get them from Bass Pro Shop ... I do know that it is covered on the "Pace Hill" titled US Geo Survey topo map ... but the river changes and the map is pretty much only a guide.

The best way to learn it is to take a day or two off and go down in there and figure it out...bout the best way (short of runnin into an ol river rat like me that can show you every nook and cranny)

I caught my first fish (a big white perch) at the mouth of Bee Tree when I was around 3. My Dad had a friend that had a tent camp there year round (kind of a community camp for his buds). That was 47 years ago. I been going down in that bottom every since.

15. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    do you put in at bevel port when you go to bee tree slough. also does it get its name because of all the bees in the trees? lol i might not want to try i out if that is so. lol that would be a long drive from the 63 bridge ramp. i tell i like just riding down the river fro a joy ride. it is such a pretty place and right now the water is so clear and green. i pass over the 63 bidge about once a week. gets me all excited seeing how pretty the water is. i havent called the dam to see what the generating schedule is. are the still generating from 6 am to 10 am. also you said that you were catching a lot of bass while it was generating. i have never had much luck when it is generating. i always thoght the fishing trip was lost when that happened. we use wacky worms though and they dont have very much weight to them. what kind of worm do you use??? i am really glad someone consistant came to this thread. its nice talking to someone that actually fishes the angelina. i have hooked a lot of good fish out there and my dad has caught twice the size of what i have caught. me an my brothers call him The Original Front Ender!!!!! anyway i am going to look at bass pro's web site and see if i can find me a map. my uncle who has a camp on the river has a map of it. you take care and hope you get back into your house soon.

16. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have never been up Bee Tree Slew but I have heard all about it. My girlfriends dad said he used to roost wood ducks up in there. He is from spurger. There is a slew down here by Silsbee called the Bean's Float Road. Used to be used to float logs out of the river bottom into the river. It was demolished by the storm. It will take a long time to get it cleared out. I used to run through there from the HWY 96 Bridge and not come out of the backwater until I was @ John's Lake on Sand Slew. There are several places in between that you can go in and out. I have thought before that it would be neat to be an outlaw and have someone try to chase you through there. They would never find you.

jsharris,

I have some friends that live on Collier Loop in Buna. I was under the impression that you lived up around Jasper. We need to get together and go to the river sometime. I'm just 20 minutes away from you.

17. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nechesbobca

well see i work in jasper but live in buna. i was just sayin that as soon as i get off from work i go straight to the to river.

18. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    Depending on where I'm going decides where I put in.

If I'm going to the dam I put in at the Hwy 63 crossing.

Lot of times if I'm going duck hunting around the forks I put in at Martin Dies Park at Dam-B and go through the Spring Creek cut into the little Neches and then up to where I'm gonna hunt.
    It's kind of a toss up on there or Bevilport....probably pretty close to the same distance with a 10hp.
    Depends where I'm going in Bee Tree.

In between I will put in at Bevilport.

I'm not sure about the Bee Tree name....I think there used to be a huge tree there that had a bee hive in it, but I know of it being called that for the past 50 years and I ain't never seen no bees (but there is a BUNCH of red wasps all up and down the river)

There is (or was) still some huge trees down in there.
    It's well worth the trip just for the scenery.

Far as the worm at the Dam goes, I've always Texas rigged a (usually) red blood-line plastic worm with a small sinker and thrown it just as close as I can to the bank (even up onto it) and usually within 3 or 4 feet you either get a bite or can crank it back and chunk it again.

19. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fished up in the old river bed below Sam Rayburn dam for a while a few years back.

The channel stays pretty deep way up the old river.
    Had a hole baited with milo up towards the end of it but mostly caught dinks.
    I know there has to be a bunch of catfish behind the dam and they got to be some in the old river bed....but I never got into any keepers there then.

There is a large (underwater) sand bar at the mouth of the old river bed where it goes into the river behind the gates.
    You can tear the white perch up with minnows there when they are schooled on it.

Something else that is fun to do there at the gates is to go nearly all the way up to the keep out bouys that go across the river and use your fish finder to spot hybrids then throw a rattle trap where it will pass by them as you drift past ... and hang on.
    They fight good.
    I don't care for eating them but they are a blast to catch.

Another fun "off target" species that you can catch a bunch of (when they runnin) behind the gates is Gou.
    They will tear silver spoons up but bring a lot of them cause you'll loose a bunch in the rocks.

20. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    well i have aquired a different boat that i think will take on any freshwater terbulance this world can dish out. It is an 18 Ft Flat bottom with an 80hp mariner. it is about 6 feet wide and about 4 feet deep. it has a deck on the front of this ship that they used to carry a big bear 4 wheeler on the front of down the river to go hog hunting. i got it from a friend of the family that didnt have time to redo the plywood floor and carpet. it needs a new keyswitch and starting cylinoid. thats a little over 60 for both. he told me i could use it like it was mine.so that is excactly what i am going to do with it. catfish and bass beware cause as soon as i get that engine running i am coming after yah. i will have some pictures of the restore some time down the road. last time we went fishing in it we fit 7 poeple in it comfortably to do some perch jerkin. very big. any suggestions for the name of this Tanker?