Angelina River, Jasper Texas

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jsharris, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was wondering who all fishes this fantastic River. I have nothing but good things to say about this place!!

2. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Is that the Angelina that flows from Rayburn that Hwy 63 crosses? I stopped there at the landing a year or so ago. Man, is that some pretty water. It was crystal clear the day I stopped there. I would love to fish it, but it's a pretty good drive for me, as I am north of Henderson.

3. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    thats the same river. the fishing for crapie and bass are unbelievable. i am now gonna try out the catfishing in about a wek with a baited hole. you dont want to fish it when it is generating from the dam though. you can call the dam andask for the generating schedule. usually about 30 minutes after it stops generating the fish start biting.

4. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Does the water level flucuate when they are generating? Hmmm... I wouldn't think the cats would mind the swift water. I haven't fished there though. Where is the best place to put in? I noticed some RV parks off of Hwy 63. I have a travel trailer but my son has it in Arkansas right now. Would love to spend a few days down that way. I did read an article online about the old paper mill putting toxins in Sam Rayburn though. Can't recall if it was heavy metals or dioxins. I think all lakes and rivers have adviseries on them now though. I'm old enough that by the time it kills me I'll be ready to go anyway.

5. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i think that the fish have really gotten lazy and usually hide out i guess you would say because the current gets pretty swift. usually a little while after the dam stops you start seeing fish hittin the top of the water and if yo ucan get into that with a white road runner or top water bait it is a lot of fun. it always seems that every time we go bass fishin out there we always bring home 1 or 2 bass over 3 or 4 pounds. the bridge is only about a mile or 2 on the water from the dam.they have berriers at the dam so you cant get very close to it. i usually fish down stream a bit. for some reason the fishing seems a little more productive for me. but i will say that a lot of ol river rats hang out closer to the dam. i am not really sure about what rv places are better than the other but the dock that is right off of 63 is about the closest your gonna want to go to. there are 2 others but they are about 12 miles out of the way. this is a clean river and most of the people are very polite with the exception of a few outlaws(every river has em). anyway sorry so long winded. if i can be any more of assistance just ask. by the way there is a creek that used the be were the original river flowed by the dam. if you are facing the dam from the water it is to the right. we sometimes catch a good bit of catfish and crappie there. sometimes bass. there is a big sand bar in from of the dam so drive slow! happy fishin!!!

6. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've done real good putting in there at the Hwy. 63 bridge and going up to the dam and then drifting down the east bank with the current and throwing a worm against the bank.

You can literally catch 100's (? maybe a few less than that) of bass.
    Do this when they are generating and you'll wear your arm out reeling in fish..at least it has always proven to be a productive pattern for me.
    West bank may be just as good, I just have always fished the east side.