Angelina River (Jasper Dam)

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by jsharris, Nov 29, 2006.

1. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know that they are doing construction on the rayburn dam right now and that they are trying to kill off the lilly pads and highdrilla in steinhegan but how much longer until the water is back up and fishable by boat. This has got to be bad for the fishing. it some spots the river doesnt even connect and many others you can walk accross with out getting past your knees. I makes me wonder if the fish is going to go farther down stream in search of deeper water. If that happens how long will it take them to travel back up stream when the river is filled back up. I also wonder what this is doing to the Gators in the area. If anyone knows about this i would like to geet some input on it.

2. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    well i went on my lunch break today a had a look at the river at bevel port. It is a little deeper at this end of the angelina River. the dock is out of the water by about 300 feet but you can see where they are still docking there boats and driving down the dirt bank. I am going to hit the river the weekend of 12/10/06 and see if my buddy and I can find some cats. The river is pretty low but he has a pretty small boat and we will just have to take it slow. Does anyone have any suggestions for catfishing on the Angelina?

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I was looking at the Corps of Engineers website for Rayburn, they are releasing water. Maybe some of it will get downstream. Where do you put in?

4. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i put in at bevel port and also at the 63 bridge. Both places arent very from the dam. I think it only takes about an hour to feel the full current from the dam when they open the gates. so i guess that means they are finished working on the dam. i think they were also waiting until our first hard freeze so that it would kill off the lillies in a small lake that the angelina feeds. looks like this weekend is going to be that hard freeze!

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It may be the hard first freeze for us in Houston too. At 7 this morning, it was 73, by noon, the temp had dropped to 40. Expected low is 32, but I'm up above Humble, so it may be a degree or two lower.

6. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is anyone fishing this river for catfish? if so what are you looking for right now to bring em in. I am starting to get an idea of what to look for but i would like some input from local anglers on what they are lookin for on this river. It doesnt flow all the time so i am not sure where to fish it at. Gadzooks this would be a great place to go kyaking. The water is beautiful especially during the winter months. I have caught sometimes 60 kentucky bass in a morning here. I have also came accross some nice white perch holes and caught about 40 in one spot. As far as catfish go i havent had a chance at fishing it for that. i know there has to be some nice ones in here. I see that a lot of people are looking at this thread. How about some of you guys post on it. I know more people than just me fish it.

7. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    well i was soppose to go try and fish the angelina this weekend but the fiver has dropped another 3'. we need a smaller boat to be able to launch where we want to now. i sure wish that that would get done what they need done. I really want to test this place out. does anyone know about how much longer until they start to generate again?

8. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well i went fishing yesterday on the Angelina and although it was freezing it was a relaxing day. We put in at Bevil port right outside of jasper tx.we had to push the boat off of the trailer into the water and it was a little heavier than we had expected but the bull headed young pups we are still went ahead with it. The river was still pretty deep in the middle and where able to get to the fishing spots that we wanted to fish. We Had several bites and were using a black and blue jig with a black and blue salty crawdad. The bass just werent there. we brought some shiners with us as a back up plan if the bass werent biting. we ended up with 3 white perch which we let go back. we caught those on one tree top and that was all the fish we saw all morning. about we arrived at daylight and left about 1. when we got back to the dock which is not a dock anymore due to the river being so low we attempted to put the boat on the trailer. we had to back it down a dirt embankment and it was a good thing we had a yota with 4 wheel drive cause it got a little steap in some places. we werent able to back the trailer in the water and had to winch it little by little. i think i strained every muscle in my body trying to get that boat on that trailer. it tk us about 35-40 minutes to get that hunk of metal on the trailer. I believe i will fish elsewhere until the water comes back up!