Anderson Area: UglyStik Rods

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Jan 22, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    For you guys in the Anderson area, Grady's Outdoors is having a clearance sale, and the UglyStik rods are on sale for $25, if you need any. I might be going through there this weekend, and if I do, I'll have to stop and see if they have any left.

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    sweet, I haven't been to Grady's lately.... I may have to make a trip down there.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Appreciate the offer Tommy but none of my ugly sticks needs replacing. They make the BEST catfish rod by a longshot.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Now, Rodger, did you read anything about "replacement"? :big_smile:
    I agree it's one of the very best, in my opinion, at least. I own several, and I'm always buying other brands for some reason; to compare, I suppose, but I have to say the first ones I pick up when I go fishing are the uglies.
    I do like those penn boat rods pretty good for fishing in heavy timber, though, just for their extra stiffness, but the uglies work pretty good for that, too. We bought 4 at Bass Pro last year on sale. That's all they had left.

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Also if you go to the jocky lot (Flea Market for us from the coast area) a man out there sells ugly sticks for ten dollars a piece. Most have had their tips replaced but they are as good as new. Just watch out for the reels he sells. I have bought several of his ugly sticks they are great and cheap.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Where is that fleamarket, Stephen, in case I come through the area when they're open sometime? I've bought a couple of guns from Grady's and some insulated clothing, too. I don't know if I can get there on friday before closing time, though, and I don't think they're open on Sunday.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    They can't be replaced .... They will only accompany the ones you have, LOL!!!

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thaaat's right. :big_smile:
    I mean, you never know when a tornado might come throw and blow one or two away. You need to have a backup handy. I told Bigboy yesterday that we need to put all our rods and reels together and take a picture for insurance purposes, but I have to buy a new camera (old one quit) and a wide angle lens to get them all in. :roll_eyes:

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I beleive your talkin about Ol FatCat Johnson.Your right better watch the reels but you cant really go wrong with his rods.He's normally got new stuff for pretty cheap too.

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy

I have way too much stuff now. It is fun to get more STUFF!!

Rodger

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, if you need a place to store some of that stuff......

12. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    The jockey lot is out on HWY 29 I dont know which exit it is off of I-85. I know he is out there on saturday morning, That is the only time I go, he maybe out other times.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I just replaced all my Ugly Stik rods with G. Loomis rods today. Eight of them at $425 a piece. Thats $3604 with tax. :angry:

A man told me that I would catch more fish with them rods. :crazy:

Just kidding. :big_smile:

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    OK, so ship me your ugly stiks. I can not catch just as many fish with them as I would not catch with the GL's. I've always heard about folks that had more money than cents. :big_smile:

15. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brothers and Sisters;
    I started out with a couple of Ugly Stik Big Water Spinning Rods and I've tried others, many others, including a Loomis "Green Water" rod that thankfully I did NOT have to pay for!
    I even had a custom $600 rod built which was more of a waste of money but I wanted to find out for myself! I DID!!:angry:
    HOWEVER!!!, I keep going back to my Ugly Stiks and if I ever decide to try and beat one I will build it myself! But I can guarantee that the blank alone, in order to beat the Ugly Stik, will cost more than at least two or three Ugly Stiks depending on which ones your talking about!!!
    As of this post at this time, I am just about to close a deal on getting one of our younger Brothers {name/BOC Nick withheld by request} that is less fortunate than I am, started out with a beginning rig that will give him a fighting chance if a "BIGGUNN" happens to chomp on his bait. And I'm starting him out on a BIG Water Ugly Stik!:smile2:
    I've got great reels, good and great lines, great terminal tackle and mean a*ssed Hooks! I'm confident that if the world record 125 lb+ hits my bait that if I do my part correctly that my Ugly Stik, which ever one I happen to be using at the time, will do it's part just as well, if not better! :smile2: For me, that is saying quite a bit!!
    Just my two cents worth and from all the posts I've read over these past several months, ... I"M NOT ALONE!!!!:big_smile: Hee-hee-hee <evil grin>
    Peace, Prayers and Best Wishes to ALL.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The only way you will see me switching from Ugly Stik to another rod is when someone hands me a couple dozen rods as part of a sponsorship deal, wraps my boat in their logo, and gives me a pretty shirt with their logo and my name on it!! :big_smile:

You can not beat Ugly Stiks for the money.

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My wife does not agree with idea that there is never enough rod-n-reels. I have never used an ugly stick but I have a couple of friends that swear by them. I personally will stick to my Penn's. I just got 5 new penn long beach rods and 2 new 310gti reels. Those are my favorite rods and they were discontinued 1.5 years ago so I buy them whenever I find them. I reckon it doesnt matter now they are combined now.

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    James, for the type fishing you do in PeeDee, those long beach rods are perfect. I have one of them, and a couple of sturdy stiks. The sturdy's seem to be about the same rod. Have you looked at those? I have a Penn slammer rod that I liked, and would be good for big fish, but the eyes on it are junk. I'm trying to decide whether to go to the trouble of returning it, replace all of the guides with Fuji's, or just trash it.

19. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if your coming down 85 south from greenville/spartansburg...look for the williamston exit on the LEFT side...i'm not sure what the number of the exit is but you can't miss it...once you take the LEFT exit toward williamston/anderson you'll be on 29 south and just follow that road until you see the jockey lot on your left side...you can't miss it...that guy selling those rods is normally there every sat. & sun.

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah Tommy I just got don replacing two Penn boat rods because of the cheap eyeletsI like the rods but I dont no anyone that replaces the eyes in this area without having to go to the beach. I reckon I should learn how to do it myself with as many rods as I have.