....and the gut feeling was right, I now need opinions

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TN Greg, May 18, 2009.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I need a new gear case. Somehow, my old one is destroyed. He said I must have hit something.....hard. :angry: I don't get that as I haven't hit anything hard, but I will chalk it up to stupid tax anyway.

So, the option's are:

1) Dump the old motor and spend more than I can afford for a new one -- which isn't really an option unless someone has a brand new 4-stroke honda for about $5K

2) Install a remanufactured gear case which includes water pump, etc for $3K

3) Find a used one and install for about half that.

4) Make it a paddle boat

The motor in question is a 115 Evinrude that is now 12 years old. I have replaced the powerhead twice before I got a little smarter and disconnected the automatic oil injection.

I guess I'm wrestling with options 2 & 3. Any opinions from the group?

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    CHECK on ebay i got a lower unit off there for my motor i think i paid $400.00 for it

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    What are the cons for getting a used one? Is there really that much difference versus a remanufactured unit.

4. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
  5. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Theres a guy on craigslist trying to sell a 1977-- 115 evinrude for parts, 50 bucks. I do not know if the lower unit would fit on yours. i doubt it.

6. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I got a remanufactured one from a shop in Flordia a few years ago and it ran me around 500 dollars. It was a 60hp. I found it off the internet. They had a core charge so as soon as I got the remanufactured one I had to send my busted one to them. I kind of had to stay on top of them for a little while since it took a while for them to get me the new one, but they were affordable. Let me know if you want there name and I will see if I can come up with it.

7. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
  8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I'm crying inside...........

9. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    About 2 months ago I bought a lower unit for my 50 horse yamaha off of craigs list for 100 bucks. i do not even need it as mine is fine but I got it in case some thing happens to mine.

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Greg, I normally wouldn't reccomend this guy, but he specializes in the older OMC stuff. Allens Outboards. I dont know his number off hand, but He's located in Barnhart, MO. I'm sure he's got a lower unit for it or could fix yours cheap enough.:wink:

11. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Hey Gary --
    just sell him your stuff real cheap, I hear your giving up cat fishinnn--lol

12. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    now that was cold

13. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    So Jer, are you implying Grump cant catch a 20 plus pound fish? Verrrrrry Interesting.:smile2:

14. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Greg check with Bob Lipton over at performance propellars in St.Charles he works on lower units and I think rebuilds them.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sorry for your troubles Greg. Not the best of times for this type of thing to happen with your son due soon. That being said, alot of the guys have given you some avenues to pursue, and worth checking into. I'd say your best bet is to find a steal on a used one somewhere, and/or have it rebuilt. Perhaps wont be as painfull as you are envisioning. I'm pretty sure you can get a used 'reliable' lower unit. The price you mentioned for a new one sounds pretty steep all things considered. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

16. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Greg you need to pull that thing apart and see what's wrong inside. It might only be one gear broke which would be an easy fix. Sounds like maybe you lost some teeth on a gear.I have pulled one apart before and there's not much to them inside.