And it gets worse!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by daniel-delarosa, Sep 28, 2008.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I just got back from the lake. I was cleaning my fish a minute ago and noticed some thick black oil running down the little fin under the prop. It looks like it is coming out from around the prop shaft. I just changed the lower unit oil a few weeks ago. What do y'all think?

2. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    HMM....MISSFIT/DAMAGED SEAL

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    it possibly could just be engine sludge running down out of the exhaust ..... hope it is anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    just oil deposits from the exhaust.. if its gear oil it wont be black beause if oil i getting out water is getting in!

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I get that alot when I have been running at low speed for a long time, is it running down the leg? Or just around the prop area? Could be just an unburnt fuel/oil mixture? Like the previous poster said, I hope so also.

6. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Same thing happens to me, I used to worry about it, now I just cuss myself for putting it on the carport...Low speed waste, unburnt gas is what a mechanic told me...

7. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Me, personally. I'd check the lower unit for water. Takes 2 minutes. If it's OK, peace of mind! If there's water, a new seal is a whole lot cheaper than a lower unit.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    stick your finger in it and smell of it. You can tell the difference in the smell of the two different oils. And by the way guys if you are getting unburned fuel out of your exhaust you don't have those engines tuned right. or you are doing way to much slow speed trolling with them.

9. Tight Line

Tight Line New Member

State:
    IL
    Daniel,
    Next year try switching to a synthetic oil. What several fellow members said is correct, unburnt fuel and oil. I used to have the same problem, and once i started using xd50 the drip is nolonger an issue, even at slow idle speeds.

Tight Line

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    thats it travis, i have the same thing happening with my motor.

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Weird thing is since I fixed the fuel pump on my motor recently, that problem went away also....Interesting:eek:oooh: