And finally...Project X - 1978 18 ft Arrow Glass bassboat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by DANZIG, Jun 13, 2007.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Gotta luv guys with new cameras huh?:lol:

For all those who are convinced that I will one day die in the "Dangerous Child", Fear not!
    With work on the Dangerous Child coming to a close, "Project X" will soon begin.

I recently picked up this 1978 18 ft Arrow Glass bassboat. 115 Evinrude and trolling motor.

Despite her looks she needs much work. (deck, transom, plumbing, wiring)

In final form I hope to add, anchor winch, gauges, LED lighting, 25 gal fuel tank, extra bilge pump, rod holders, stereo, docking light, and a hammock for those late nights. (did i miss anything?)

Yes, a hammock! LOL! I figure I can use a bit of steel pipe to fit in the fishing seat receptacles on either end of the boat and string the hammock between.:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I like your style! Why spend all that money on a new boat when you can get the enjoyment out of fixing one up!

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My wife says I just have an addiction to projects! LOL!
    The truth is somewhere between that and I am cheap. Not to mention that I absolutely detest being in debt for anything, it makes you a slave.

And just think of how much beer, tackle, fuel, fishing trips, all that interest can buy.
    Worse comes to worse, I have to buy a new tool or two. Nuttin wrong with that!:big_smile:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Danzig, instead of a hammock, think about using a reclining bucket seat from a van or SUV? Just be sure to sit in it first and make sure that the headrest comes up to a comfortable position. You can pick up one for next to nothing from someone who's parting out the vehicle, weld a steel plate on the bottom, then weld a piece of pipe to the plate. Either use it all the time, or just use it when you're night fishing.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When I first read that I thought, "lord, they would throw me off the river!"

But after thinking about it a bit and remembering how when I and my buddies where young, could not afford real furniture, and used to nab seats from cars to use in our apartments... I'm thinking... A nice auto seat would beat the dickins outta of regular bass boat seat. And if it reclined, so much the better.
    Not to mention that my back is not what it once was and a couple of my fishing buddies are worse off than me.

Ya might be on to something there!

The boat should carry the extra weight without much trouble. Two could snooze that way. Mmmm.. The only draw backs might be them catching more wind and seeing around the one in the bow. and Fuel mileage.

With the right seat and maybe beef up the deck 'round the receiver, this might be just the ticket for a Cat Boat!

Thanks a heep! My wheels are spinning....

6. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    lol dANZIG WE HAVE THE SAME BOAT LOL. BUT I DONT HAVE A MOTOR YET FOR MINE WANT TO FIND A 25 HP I THINK.

7. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats a cool boat i am a tinker person myself i love projects i have a 15ft tri hull with a 85 hp evinrude and it scoots pretty good so be careful with the 115

8. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    this is the only pic i keep adding things to it

Attached Files:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a 20' Kenner that has a couple of seats from a Grayhound type bus. Well, one double seat separated into two seats. High backed, reclining, swivel. Metal plate welded on the bottom, pipe welded to the plate. They're getting pretty shabby; when they get too bad, I'll replace them with van seats.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Just a wild guess but I'll bet 50mph+ is not out of the question.
    Whatever, I'll bet being low like that it will feel fast. kinda like driving a go cart that's low to the ground.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Jerry, with the xtra weight, have you had any problems with deck fatigue around the receivers?

12. godsey5

godsey5 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Very cool. have a 84 arrowglass tri-hull w/ a 80 hp merc.

Jim

13. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    tat will make one great boat