Ancient catfish photos

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BenNewt, Oct 17, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I love really old catfish photos--I'm talking pictures atleast 70 or 80 years old. I attached one photo of a blue cat of unknown weight caught in the Missouri or Mississippi in the 1800s--scanned from the Freshwater Anglers Fishing for Catfish book.

Anyone else have any really old catfish photos to share?

Attached Files:

2. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    thats awesome. who else has old stuff like that? i wanna see. old rods, reels, tackle, photos, gear.

3. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Really Cool old photo.Makes ya wonder though How he was caught back then.

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    problably had some of them explosive hooks:smile2:

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll bet he had to work to land that one. Stay safe and nice pic, thanx for sharing!!!:wink:

6. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    That looks like a 120lb blue right off hand. I got that by looking at the size of the fish compared to the person standing next to it. The fish isn't real fat but real long. Thats typical of a big river fish.

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    landine hawg fish like that back then had to be back breaking. thanks guys for shareing those pictures.

8. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here's the text that accompanied the photo from before. This is from The Freshwater Angler Fishing for Catfish (great book by the way):

"Historical records recount many instances of enormous blues caught from big rivers in the 1800s.

The Missouri River seemed to be a standout among hot spots. A 315 pound blue was supposedly caught near Morrison, Missouri, "just after the Civil War."

According to the Wahoo, Nebraska, New Era in 1892, there was a "monster catfish caught near Bellevue that measured nine feet long," most likely a gigantic blue. Reports of Missouri River catfish heavier than 100 pounds were frequent, and in 1862, news reports recorded many blue cats caught near Yankton, South Dakota, that weighed between 200 and 300 pounds.

Further evidence of the blue catfish's size potential is offered by naturalist Constantine Rafinesque who in 1820 wrote of catfish, undoubtedly blues, "weighing 185 pounds and another 250 pounds." P.R. Hoy, a naturalist who traveled across Missouri in 1854, reported that on May 14 of that year, "A lad caught on hook and line today a catfish weighing 136 pounds" from the Grand River near Chillicothe.

The Mississippi River was another mother lode of giant blues. In November 1879, a 150 pound blue catfish taken from the river near St. Louis was sent to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. J.G.W. Steedman, chairman of the Missouri Fish Commission, who found it in a St. Louis fish market. Part of a letter sent by Dr. Steedman to Professor Spencer Baird, U.S. Commissioner of Fish and Fisheries, suggests that catfish of this size were not uncommon: "Your letter requesting the shipment to you of a large Mississippi Catfish was received this morning. Upon visiting our market this P.M. I luckily found two-one of 144 lbs., the other 150 lbs. The latter I ship to you by express."

Even Mark Twain was intrigued with these giants, having seen a "Mississippi catfish that was more than six feet long." It's likely blue near, perhaps over, the 150 pound mark are swimming in some lakes and rivers today. One probably will turn up sometime in the next few years."

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ben,
    Here is one I found a while back,,,:wink:
    Looks like a bunch of guys I could get along with,,,:cool2:
    Puddle

Attached Files:

10. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    man those are some pigs. i hope there are some still around like that.

11. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Man did you all look at this pic real close That one on the far left on the big Log tail folded on ground Thats a HAWG. Thanks for sharing pics you all

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    This pic is My Great Grandad McCoy,,on right,, Somewhere in KY ,, His daughter, My Grandmother, had this in her photo albums,,sometime in the 19teens,,
    Unfortunately,, The story is he came home mortally wounded one day,, from the feud...
    Who knows,, but, neat pic..

Attached Files:

13. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Found this one tonight,,:eek:oooh:
    This was the caption that went with the pic,,,

In the circa 1920 photo, the proud fisherman are displaying the great catfish caught in the Stones River near Walter Hill Dam. The story goes that it was drug to the bank with a Model-T.:confused2:

Puddle

Attached Files:

14. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im a mccoy.........wonder if were related .........nice pix