anchovies/havasu/roosevelt

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by azcataholic, Oct 16, 2008.

1. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Okay Guys,
    We caught between 10 and 12 catfish fishing in the morning with 1/2 anchovies, ranging from 16 to 22 inches long at Havasu area. With some time available, i wanted to test Roosevelt again with anchovies for channel cats. I fished the salt river first thing in morning, two areas, then moved to the cove next to Roosevelt Dam. This would have given similiar senarios, water depth clarity, etc. I did not get one tap on the anchovie at Roosevelt all day. My other rod was out with bluegill hoping for a randon flathead.Does anyone have any ideas, it seems odd to me to go from appr. 25 hits to 0 on same bait?

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    picky fish i guess. lake mead and havasu i've always done good with chovies, but only lakes around. around yuma, i think the fish take a whiff, and swim the other way.
    sounds like you did good at havasu though.
    gary

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Mike,
    Every time I try anchovies I end up with a turtle.. lol. (Bartlet, Roosevelt)

* I think it has a lot to do with the waters.. Because everyone is tossing in anchovies at lake pleasant for stripers, the catfish are accustomed feeding on this as well.

** The best "cut" channel cat bait I have used at Bartlet or Roosevelt is shad, (from the same waters) Shrimp, (with a little garlic seasoning), night crawlers, (crawlers will also entice pretty much everything that swims by), or a blue gill head.

~A

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    In my [testing] i tossed out a nightcrawler in same spot after an anchovy set there for 20 minutes, caught a healthy looking 6" long flathead in about 10 minutes. :smile2:

5. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I wish I knew what the hell the secret was. I think we should be allowed to set up like 10 poles. Corn, shrimp, hot dogs, water dogs, anchovies, squid, soap, dough bait, carp heads, bluegills, chicken liver, stink bait, blood bait, all in a line.
    I still wouldnt catch anything.

6. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I was thinking shad and anchovies would taste close to the same. I didn't want to have to do the taste test, i guess i'll pick up some crackers!

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've never heard of people eating shad on pizza's though. might be a difference. let us know. :smile2:
    gary

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    My last few visits to Bartlet lake there were a ton of shad up in the river section of the lake.. You could toss in a throw net anywhere and come up with a few hundred threadfin shads..

When ever you are targeting predatory fish like a catfish.. You need to use what they are used to feeding on.. Otherwise they might get a little shy...

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I know Andy you right. It is just as it gets closer to nightfall when i am out there,fears of running out of bait, my bluegill getting away in the middle of the night,no throw net with me, all scary things that happen in the middle of the night....I get the shakes and want a bait in the ice chest as a backup. The natural bait is always best, i need to practice with my throw net .Thanks!:smile2:

10. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It helps if you drink about 6 beers before standing up and trying to throw the cast net from a boat.:wink:

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ok, ya fishing channels? If so find the most shallow spots at dusk and dawn. This is when they hit the hardest. Im talking 2 feet of water if ya can find it. Chum if its legal. Flats and Blues I cant help ya on. :sad2: Good luck.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi MichaelP,
    Yea, i like the 10 pole idea,,, I've been thinkin' about tieing on a dollar bill, maybe I can buy a bite!!!:smile2:

13. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Well, maybe it's not a question of bait, but rather of the lake your fishing in. To test out a preference for bait you should be using two poles at the same time and place but use different baits. As far a what lake to fish I must say I have not fished rosey but i know Havasu and it's a no brainer. If you have the time, go to Havasu. We don't even think about not catching fish because we just do. It's how many and how big. Not braggin, just the way it has been for us there.

:cool2:

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I agree with you Mike. The catfishing on Havasu is generally good. I have got to say I am glad Roosevelt does not have striper.