anchors

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by weshossman, May 27, 2008.

1. weshossman

weshossman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have a 24ft pontoon boat. haveing trouble with anchoring it in the PeeDee. Anyone have any ideas how and what kind of anchors to use. I am now useing the flute ones but they wont hold in heavy current.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wesley
    I often fish in current and use a 20 lb coated navy anchor with 6 ft. of good anchor chain shackled to it. The trick is to use enough rope to get it out away from the boat and at the right angle. If I anchor in water 25 ft. deep, its not un-common for me to put out 100 ft of rope and pull back up on it untill I get a good set. I use a 18 ft pontoon for catfishing and anchor both ends

3. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish out of a 24ft pontoon and had trouble anchoring as well. A buddy told me about a website (not a sponsor so can not type it) that has a rather unique anchor. I bought two and have had no problems since. I have fished in rivers, lakes, hard bottoms and soft bottoms and can not complain. If your interested PM me and I will give you the website.

4. weshossman

weshossman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I cant PM on here yet Is there any other way to get it

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Wesley, just say "thank You" five more times and you'll have the ten posts needed. It is nice to have informative articles to post, but in order to get your 10 posts, do what it takes then try to be informative on later posts.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have an anchor that will hold but I sure hate to pull that think in. I was also thinking of looking into another lighter but bigger anchor ofr my 25ft toon.

7. weshossman

weshossman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks for the info. I dont know all about this stuff. Still trying to figure this out

8. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I have a 25 ft pontoon and I have 4 different anchors in the boat depending on the area fished. My work horses are the Richter anchors that can be ordered online from Cabelas. I got the 25lb models that and I just checked the price online, $74.99 each. I went to a home improvement store and had them cut some 3 foot sections of heavy galvanized chain for all my anchors. Believe me adding chains does help the digging angle of anchors.
    My 3rd anchor is a grabbing type that I found on the side of the road near Lake Marion, true story. Not sure how to describe it or even where you could get one but it favors a claw. I use this at Lake Marion when fishing up in the trees. It tends to hold to the underwater branches farely well.
    And last but not least and anyone who has fished with me will curse this last anchor but anyways. My last anchor has a name. "Anchor-Zilla". It is a 45lb digging anchor that will hold the Titanic herself. I have lost more friends who won't fish with me anymore if they have to pull "Anchor-Zilla". Anyways, it has held me in 35mph winds on Marion without moving 1 inch. I use it in the diversion canal between the Lakes and I drop it out the back tie off and fish downstream out the front.
    Hope this helps,
    Jonathan