Anchors

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tnfishman, May 24, 2007.

1. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Found out on my first trip to Monticello, my anchors are not big enough, must make some home made ones to hold.

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    It's not so much the weight of the anchor as the GRIPTION (my word for it.) I use all kinds for years heavier and heavier and still not able to hold in the wind. A friend of mine was able to get his 24' toon to hold so a little inspection of his anchors was in order. He had two 12 lb anchors that looked like an 18in piece of 2in diamiter steel bar with four 2in wide blade about 5in long on the bottom. It also had a 3ft piece of chain on top. They work there and thats what I have now just a homemade style. Hope it helps.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I got a buddy that's a concrete worker...ya it works. He makes em out of all kinds of containers with a U shape rebar in the middle. Everything from large coffee cans, to even small ones from margarine tubs, for kyaks. Cheap.
    :smile2:

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    When it is windy I like to use fluked anchors with about 3-5 ft of chain. The most important of a fluked anchor is the chain, you want to hook it to the anchor then tie your rope to it, this makes the flukes want to dig in a lot easier and faster. Hope this helps.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've had great luck with river style anchors.

Chain is important on any kind of anchor though. Adding 2 to 4 feet of chain in fron of any anchor will just about double it's effectiveness (it's gription).

6. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    river style or the foldup galvanized kind work great. anything with "teeth" to hold to the botom.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You might want to consider a Digger Anchor. Often used for Toons. I think they make three sizes.

8. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Love these anchor threads...been through a couple different styles experiment ing for tidal mudy river bottoms. Turn a river bend and then there's hard botoms on drops...plus something that works with my Anchormates. Still looking for the "perfect" anchor.

9. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have found the best way for me is to have a "grapel" type anchor out the front of the boat and then i put out a 42 lb square shaped anchor out the back...the square shape is ultra important (it was molded out of a dish pan) because it does not move at all on the bottom like round anchors do...they tend to roll.

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Having too short of an anchor rope causes problems with all style anchors. I'm sure there are threads on how long an anchor rope should be.

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    John,

There are many different type of anchors available. Here is a animated clip of how to properly use your anchor..hope this helps some..

http://www.boat-ed.com/images/animations/anchoring.html

12. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    John I don't know about the rivers in Tenn but the Miss river and all the local rivers here in north Miss. have a lot of trees and roots ect.to hang up an anchor.My frist time on the Miss river I hung up one of them anchors with the flukes the hinge from one side of the anchor to the other and had to open up the OB till I was running it 3/4 throtle and I got lucky and it broke lose so I didn't have to cut my 3/8 125 ft anchor rope.I made an anchor out of holow 2inx2in steel 12in long and welded some 1 in wide 10 ga to it for flukes + I added 3 ft of chain and it's not very heavy but holds very good and I can bend the flukes to get it lose if it hangs up.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I fished with a friend not long ago that has a 47 lbs anchor and it holds. But its rough pulling back in the boat. I have 7 window weight, or thats what I was told they were. I'm thinking about getting four of them welded together. I have learned that if I get my rope at a an angle it holds much better.

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've used Chene style and Digger anchors to hold my boat effectively in the deepest and swiftest water on the Missouri River. But-In the past year, I've lost 3 chenes and 2 Diggers to snags and rocks. At a cost of almost $140 it was getting a little expensive!

I'm now using a homemade anchor that cost me around $2.25. A lot of catfishing guides and tournament fisherman have been using this style of anchor, and it's held me everywhere my expensive anchors were holding me.

Take a 1" dia. steel rod 20" long, and weld an eyelet on one end (or drill, tap and thread an eyebolt into it), then weld about a 2" dia. washer on the other end. Take about an 8-10" dia. stainless mixing bowl for your mold. The end of the rod with the washer goes into the bowl, and fill the bowl 1/2-3/4 full of lead. You end up with an anchor about 15-25 lbs.

I think the general rule of thumb for anchor ropes is 3 times the depth where you're anchoring. I used to run an anchor off the bow and stern with 150' of rope for both. I quit running the back anchor, and now use the full 300' off the bow. I can anchor most anywhere with less than 150', but the longer rope allows you to fish 2-3 different spots with the same anchor position.