Anchors

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ec43146, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was wondering which style of anchor you prefer. I plan on fishing some of the bigger rivers, Ohio, James.... Thanks in advance.

2. broz

broz New Member

State:
    iowa
    The Richter Anchor is the best! I fish the Mississippi River and it holds the best of any anchor I've tried.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I prefer the "river" style anchor as most catalogs call it. Its basically a mushroom with 3 ears on it. I usually end up using a danforth though, because it holds a lot better where i fish. The river anchor is just easer to use and retrieve cause i dont hafta put out a ton of rope and give it time to catch, i just drop it over the side with 3 or 4 extra feet of rope.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How easy is it to retrieve a mushroom or river anchor when hung among rocks? It would substantially add to the expense to loose three or four anchors a year.

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I have a 24' seaark and fish the mississippi and the missouri riverswith 11 - 13 mph current, and I like a fluke style that digs in the sand and mud, they hold tight and dont slip, thoes mushroom anchors are "ok" for a small boat in NO current.. and Iv NEVER had it get stuck on anything.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You are absolutely correct. Luckily for me there aren't many rocks here.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I use one that I made out of lead and a piece of iron fence post. I use an old frying pan for a mold. It holds great even in strong current. I fish the Mo river mostly and can hold anywhere in the river I want and best of all it was free.

Tom

8. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    a lot of the guys here use rail road iron for weight, if your hoss enough, 2ft. of rail off the front will hold most any thing

9. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    Richter Anchor all the way.locks down and if hung drive forward and it lets go.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use the "river" anchors (15 lbs) where the current or wind isn't too strong, in other situations I prefer the Danforth anchor

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the river i fish doesn't have too much of a strong current so i use a "river" anchor, and carry a spare danforth anchor if i want to anchor the boat sideways then i use both anchors

12. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I like the rictor, but have better holding with the river anchors in the muddy and soft bottoms. The rictor gets used in the rocky rivers I fish. With the major current the James has the river achor worked good for me.