Anchoring your boat on a river

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by mbill, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Just want to ask a question from all you guys who anchor your boats on the River Sysyems. Is there any good tips you can give to me on Do's and Dont's of anchoring my boat on the rivers. Up to know I've only anchored on the lakes and reservoirs and have yet to get my boat on the river where there is current. I dont want to get out there and look totally clueless. Thanks for any help.

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is what I have found. Being in the river does not mean there will be current. Also the amount of current in a river can change all of the sudden in the middle of the day.

If there is current a drift sock or drift bucket off the back and anchor off the front works best and is the safest. You don't want the bow anchor to run straight down. I usually go about 20 or 30 feet up river from where I want to anchor, drop anchor and then let the current take the boat down to where I want to fish and tie off the anchor then I throw out the drift sock.

If there is very little current that above will not work well. I only do this when there is very little current, but at that point I anchor like I would in current but instead of throwing out a drift sock I would throw out a stern anchor. Then you go to the bow anchor and pull yourself to the middle.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    1. Three times the depth of rope(or more)
    2. Knife available to cut rope
    3. Some sort of "float" on anchor rope, ( I like achor lifts from Ironwood pacific)

The only rivers I anchor in are fairly swift(Mo & Kaw), the lenght of rope determines you anchor's angle, Barges make waves big enough to sink boats, a cut anchor rope could save your life and if you have a float you won't lose your anchor.

4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Be sure to secure anchor rope to boat before droping anchor overboard. Don't even ask. :embarassed::embarassed::angry:

Matt, have you looked at the electric anchor systems like the ones made by Minnkota. Works pretty good and you can sometimes pick them up pretty cheap on eBay.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Just carry a knife to cut off line from anchor if needed but I expect you'll be just fine from the good post above.

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
  7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    HILARIOUS!!! Happened to me too....:smile2::big_smile_2:

8. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    1. Three times the depth of rope(or more)
    2. Knife available to cut rope
    3. Some sort of "float" on anchor rope, ( I like achor lifts from Ironwood pacific)

The only rivers I anchor in are fairly swift(Mo & Kaw), the lenght of rope determines you anchor's angle, Barges make waves big enough to sink boats, a cut anchor rope could save your life and if you have a float you won't lose your anchor.
    Larry I have a question. You say to have a float attached so if you have to cut the line you wont lose the anchor. How do you attach the float? I guess what im asking is if you have to cut the line between the boat and the water attaching the float to the end of the line wont help because once you cut it you have the float and the river has the anchor. Please explain attachment so that you can retrieve if you need to cut away.
    I had to release my line quickly to keep a tree from getting into me and lost 200 ft of line and an anchor. 50 buck lost sucked but better than loosing the boat. But if i could have had a float, I could have retrieved it. Any info would be appreciated.

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I use a 100 ft piece of anchor line and is attached to chain and then 15 lb anchor, weighs in at 22 lbs total and hold 90% of the time. Now the other end is tied a spring loaded clip ( Carabeaner style) and is clipped to the cleat. Sooo, if something comes like a tree, , I can quickly un figure eight the line off the bow and when the slack goes out, I can then flip the whole thing in the river and the clip will keep the floating anchor ball from sinking, amke sense?? I keep looking at the Ironwood anchor retrieval systems, just havent pulled the trigger yet.

Oh yeah, I always keep the spring loaded end on the cleat and then just run about 2 feet of rope into the storage well with the rope on top of the anchor.

Another good idea is before launching, undo the anchor rope and have it ready to go with no knots in it just in case when launching, you need to throw quickly before you float down river with a dead motor...
    Salmonid

10. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
  11. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Larry, thanks for the link. I will be buying one for sure. The cost for the system was about the same as the anchor/rope I lost. It would have paid for itself right there. Another plus is being able to retrieve the anchor without having to pull it in. I often fish alone and the current on the Cumberland River can be a killer when trying to retrieve an anchor. Thanks again.

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Matt, 1 of my catfish videos says that for every 1ft. of water in the river where ya plan to ancor on ya need 3 ft of line to hold the boat good

13. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Thanks guys got some really good advice on here now just have to get my boat and head to the river:roll_eyes:

14. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    matt, i want a seat when ya go to the river on the baot i called it first so i get it lol:smile2:

15. criss

criss New Member

State:
    ohio
    Wnen your using the float system be sure to tie a knot in the end of the rope so it will not keep slideing on though.:embarassed::angry::angry: