Anchoring Versus Drifting.

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Rivercat09, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We almost always anchor over a hole when fishing the Potomac, but I've heard some stuff about drifting. Does anybody have any opinions as to which will yield better fishing between of drifting versus anchoring when fishing the tidal Potomac? Thanks!

2. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I went for about 3 hours on Thursday from 11am on. Got 3 little white perch for bait, after 1 1/2 hours casting net. Tried to anchor, but the wind and incoming tide didn't agree so I drifted for about an hour. Broke off 2 setups on the bottom. Managed to catch an 18lb'er before time ran out. Lots of fellows drift fish the James with a high rate of success. Hope it helps. I prefer shad but the perch worked on this trip. If I can wake early enough tomorrow, I plan on heading down to the Potomac again. Might take some bait fish to save time. Hope to see y'all on the water soon---jonnycat

3. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Don,

I've done both anchoring and drifting--both methods have their merits. You can fish a hole more thoroughly by anchoring but you can cover more water by drifting. To me, it depends on water depth. Some spots on the Potomac are deep and it makes anchoring a bit tricky so I'd rather drift those spots. I like anchoring on a relatively shallow channel edge adjacent to deep water if I mark good fish on the depthfinder. Drifting is a good way to find fish because some fish wont show on the depthfinder. While drifting, keep an eye out for bigger fish below a school of bait...if you get hit, you may want to move up current to anchor and fish that spot for a while. Other times, I've found out that fish want a moving bait versus a bait just laying on the bottom and vice versa. You just have to try alot of different things to see what the fish want for any given day. Hope that helps.

4. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I think if you hit a good hole , then anchor !
    The best thing to do is drift when you start , then anchor if your in a good hole!
    I've said it before I'll say it again
    Its all about naturall instinct ( gut feeling):lol:

5. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thank you everyone for the replies. I'll have to start drifting, and then anchoring we I get hits. In general, I'll have to start mixing it up. I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there!!

6. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    There are a lot of holes that have too many snags to do much drifting in. I have caught fish both ways but usally wait to drift when the tided has slowed and in a fairly clean area. Some spots are just plain un driftable.