Anchoring Rope

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Chris Baker, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had a winch on my old boat with 3/16 rope and it was fine. Even used the boat clete a couple times to pull it loose. It should pull you up current with no added help. I used it a bunch on the Missouri and below Truman Dam. Was real handy when I was by myself. Mine was wired to my starting battery and I would have the motor running when pulling it up. Seemed to give it a little more power. I liked it a bunch but it is always up there and inevedibly will get in the way.

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I have the powerwinch model on my 18 foot alumacraft. I fish the mississippi river in very heavy current. I have been out when the river was just a rolling during last months flood. I even anchor right up in the Alton dam and its really a blasting there. When I first got the boat and I seen how small the rope was I thought it would not hold. I made my own anchor with rebar so when it gets stuck the rebar will bend and I can loosen the anchor. Anyway this little rope always holds I believe it is 3/32. You do not need a big rope. A lot of times I anchor in 40 ft and hold real good and I only have 100 ft of rope as thats all I can get on it.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Only problem I can see with that small of diameter rope is that if something ever happens to your winch it's gonna be tough on your hands when you're pulling anchor the old fashioned way:big_smile:

4. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It would be hard on the hands if it quit but it sure is nice all the times that it does work. I could get 150' of 3/16 on mine but it only called for 100'. It was full and you had to watch it when bringing it up with that much rope on it. When I get another boat it will probly have one on it eventually.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The last two posts hit the nail on the head. 3/16 would work fine on the winch, but is real hard on the hands. That is why most folks who pull the rope by hand, use 1/2 or 5/8 rope.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One other thing, it might be plenty strong to hold the boat, but not so much when the anchor gets stuck and you have to torque it up by hand or with the boat motor.