Anchoring question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by crazyKat, Sep 13, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    went out yesterday in the river. there was no current. dropped ancor and my boat kept turning in circles. tried dropping to ancors and still did this. what am i doing wrong??? new to boating

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Did you shut the motor down and put it in neutral? :big_smile: Just kidding. How do you have the anchor rigged? In calm conditions you don't need as much rode, which reduces drift or spin. It can be frustrating when there is only a minimal or no wind or current to help keep the boat straight.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    In quiet waters on the lake we fish a slight breeze will cause our boat to spin.

4. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i just have a mushroom type anchor tied to the front right side i fish out the back of the boat so i get it where i want it and drop anchor and then it just starts turning. the boat is anchored just the back end moves around

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Think of a Baloon on a string . Even in a breeze it will hunt for where ever it isn't .... Just a visual for ya..

Most any river while not cascading white water will still have movement and your boat is reacting to that movement.

We anchor: Bow Upriver - with what ever length rope is appropriate for the current and how much anchor ( weight and holding shape ) We have along.
    I drop a round bottomed Mushroon anchor Straigt down out the back corner of the Boat to manage the Oscillation .

Hope that helps

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When fishing without current, I either ease the nose of the boat on the bank to keep still, or I use 2 anchors(1 in front and 1 in back). Also, the more wind or current you have, the heavier your anchor will need to be. Good luck fishin'.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    To keep the boat from spinning when there's not enough current to hold you straight, you have to spread out your anchors. If the anchors are right under the ends of the boat, that's not far enough apart to keep you still. Put one anchor out and give it a bunch of line then put the other anchor out and pull the lines tight so you baot is suspended between the two anchors on tight lines.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Another suggestion if you get tired of pulling anchors up, is use a drift sock out the back.In any kind of current that will usually remove 95% of the movement.:big_smile:

9. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    do i need bigger anchors? i use the mushroom type from wal mart not sure on the weight it cost about 20 bucks maybe 20lb or so

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The anchor should be sized to the boat... How big is your boat?

A mushroom anchor is probably the most visible anchor in the store, and is actually the best choice if you only fish in small ponds. If you fish in lakes or rivers, there are other factors to consider like the wind and current.

I personally use Danforth style anchors with a slip link and 6 feet of coated 3/8" chain to hold my 20 foot boat. My anchor and chain only weighs 18 pounds and has never failed me (yet). I have had to drive the boat over the anchor to retrieve it from rocks on several occasions.

The deepest water I expect to anchor in is 30 feet, so 30x7=210, I allow 7 feet of scope per foot of water for secure anchorage in wind or current. My anchor ropes are 5/8" dia to be easy on the hands and 250' long, coiled down in the bottom of a bucket every time they're retrieved.

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

See if this helps you out..

http://www.boat-ed.com/images/animations/anchoring.html

12. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    it is a 16 foot jon. so the mushroom style is probably not what i need? that sucks cause i have already bought 2 of them. lol

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The type opf bottom makes more differnece. Mushroom work well in mud or sand or OK in gravel. They're not much good on rocks.

Mushrooms come in defferent sizes. I use one of 2 (actually one mushroom and one "river" anchor) to anchor my 17 foot boat. I have I think 10 pound anchors. If yours are dragginga dnnot holding you well, try adding a few feet of fairly heavy chain ahead of the anchor (between the anchor and the rope). Having chain on any style of anchor makes a huge difference.

14. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks i will try to get some heavy chain. i have 2 of the mushrooms. should i tie them together to make them heavier? thats probably a stupid question. im going out sunday on the ohio river. friends want to have a fish fry and guess what they are depending on me to catch the fish. lol so im kinda on the spot. if i dont catch at least 10 eaters sunday they are gonna rag me. im gonna go to cannelton dam cause i always catch fish there. is it a good idea to keep the engine running while fishing close to a dam? and if so will it hurt the engine to keep it in idle? like file a plug or something?

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A mushroom anchor is not to my knowledge a good choice for river fishing. They also are not too well suited for larger boats. I wouldn't tie them together, maybe just attach a 6 foot heavy 3/8" chain to each of them at best.

You are going to burn a lot of gas, not to mention get annoyed by the noise, if you keep your outboard running the whole time you fish. I would just make sure that your motor is in good shape and that you feel confident it will start when it NEEDS to. Plus, you need to feel confident that your anchor will hold your boat in the current.

Also, I hope you are fishing below the dam where you have time to react in an emergency. Not that you can't fish above a dam but you need to be a bit better prepared just in case!

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Best Advice that you can get. Vern

17. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Man I have been having the same problem on the river ever sence it dropped way down. I could not figgure out what I was doing wrong.

18. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    This is how I anchor my boat but I also angle it a little to the current or wind this seems to hold it more steady.

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I don't have any current in the lake I fish and if you can reach the water you want to fish from the bank just either tie up to a limb/bush, or just throw a light anchor on the bank. Let a little line out and then drop a fairly heavy anchor off the back of the boat. Not just straight down, but a couple of feet away from the boat. Holds me just fine. I'm sure it's completely different in a river, but I hope some of this can help ya.