Anchoring near dams

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by stumpjumper, Oct 29, 2007.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    In TN is it illegal to anchor in the water below the dam? The other day we were anchored about 150 yards from the dam catching skipjack and someone said it was illegal and that I would get a ticket. I understand the safety hazards of anchoring too close, however, we were 150 yards back. There were boats tied up on the walls right at the dam. Is this not illegal then?

I could not find this information out in the fishing regulations. I just found the saftey tips. Are there any other regulations near dams (besides life jacket)? Thanks

2. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I believe it's illegal to tie up to the dam structures themselves, but I had never heard of any laws against anchoring near the dam. I went to the TVA web site's safety rules page here: http://www.tva.com/river/hazwater/safe.htm and it does say to not anchor below the dam, but it doesn't say it's unlawful, so I doubt you'd get a ticket. You've always got your busy bodies out there wanting to tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing. :roll_eyes:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Never heard that. But read the big signs below most dams. They have Keep out dangerous waters serges. I fish it all the time here at Pickwick. Even take the 17ft boat back into the hole that the boils come out of.
    But as far as anchoring. If they kick the water up. It can and will drag your boat under before you can cut the anchor line.
    Not a good ideal, But you know I have never seen anyone get a ticket for it.
    Pete

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've never heard it was illegal to anchor below a dam either, but it is really dangerous. Always call TVA at 1-800-238-2264 or check their website before you go to check the generation schedule for the dam you're fishing below. Also remember that the times they give are local time (Chick dam is eastern time and Nick dam is central time) and remember the schedules they give can change. If the schedule calls for 1 generator from midnight to midnight, then you're probably ok that day. If it says it will go from 1 gen. to 2 gens. at 4 p.m. (just example), then I wouldn't be anchored close to that dam between 3:30 and 4:30. The increase in flow could cause water height and speed to double. Better be safe and have a knife ready to cut the anchor rope. Carry a spare anchor too, because you might lose it getting it hung up anyway. I probably wouldn't even try to anchor close to the dam if they were running 2 or more generators anyway, it's just too risky. You can never be too safe, so if in doubt, then don't do it.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know bout Tn but I know it isn't here alot of us around tie off and or fish off of the damb,We have the largest loc on the Missippi here.IF YOU ARE ON THE DAMB THOUGH SOMETIMES THEY WILL RUN YOU OFF.Laws do vary from state too

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You'll get a ticket in Missouri. There is normally a sign posted so many feet below the dam. You can anchor there but go above it at your own risk. I have heard that they take pictures of your boat, capturing the registration number and just mail you a ticket.

7. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    If I anchor near a dam, it's never behind the generators or by the lock discharge. This is just common sense to me. There are plenty of good places to toss an anchor that won't get you killed. :wink:

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that it is allowed at Pickwick if your at least 1,000 yards below the dam.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    At Pickwick you can tie to the dam and fish all day long. Or even anchor anywhere at the dam. But I for one do not anchor close to the turbines. Now in front of the flood gates I do anchor. But they have to move a crane to even open one here.
    Pete

10. Folion

Folion New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Back in Texas the had a rope about 20 or more feet above the water. it marked where the boats could not pass safely or legally. Do they not do the same thing here?:confused2:

11. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    No. I see people in bass boats floating right over the top of the area where the water comes welling up immediately behind the generators. If people weren't blatently breaking safety rules like this all the time, folks could tell when others were in trouble instead of just being stupid. Actual laws instead of safety rules might help, but with how little enforcement there is on TN waters, I'm not sure it would matter.

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have not seen that in TN, but when I lived in IN they had the area near the turbines roped off as well. Last weekend I saw a bunch of folks anchoring around Chickamauga dam. I guess it is not illegal in TN, just not very smart!

13. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    A word of caution about anchoring in very swift water--be very careful when letting the anchor down. We have had several instances here in Arkansas where the fishermen were fishing behind manmade structures where the water was very swift and lost their lives. Several deaths were caused by the fishermen motoring up to the swift water and throwning an anchor overboard, the water would carry the rope under the boat and get entangled around the motor, then when the rope got tight the boat would spin around and be pulled under by the current. Be very cautions when anchoring in swift water, always have a sharp knife ready if needed.

don3778

14. catfish4fun

catfish4fun New Member

State:
    nc
    were you in front of lock discharge