Anchoring in the missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by riverlover, Jul 14, 2008.

1. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been fishing the misssouri river for years. Never tried to anchor in the current. always behind the wing dikes, in the dead water on a bend or in the mouth of a smaller rivers or creek. But it would be nice to fish the deep hole of a washboard. Never seen it done and i'm on the river at least once a week. I guess what i'm saying is that I don't want to end up looking like one of those channel markers.:tounge_out: I use a pretty good boat its a 85 Ranger. I s this a dumb idea or is it possible :crazy::eek:oooh::cool2:

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Do it all the time just use a good anchor and plenty of rope

3. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Your missing out on one of the best areas to fish. We do it all the time with no problems ever, thats unless your fishing down towards St. Louis where the 125 ft. Sequoias run rampant down the river. :wink:

4. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    out in the mddle of the current.

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
  6. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm around Jeff city

7. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow that sound great Exciting. How much rope And what size weight do you use.

8. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I use a homemade 40 lb anchor and have 300' of rope aboard. also a good idea to have some sort of anchor rope float. When fishing hot current on the missouri and You hook a big fish You'll more then likely have to chase him down stream. No time to pull the anchor up so we float the rope. I use an Atwood anchor hoist for the job, but have seen folks use 1/2 a dozen boat bumpers tied together and 5 gallon buckets. Whatever works, but it has to be big. A gallon jug will get sucked under quick.....LOL

9. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the GOOD info Brad. I'm going to do it this friday night I was drifting last saturday night and came accross a huge hole but to chicken to try thanks for the confidence.

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    That could be a good spot. I like to set up on humps and dips in the channel. If fishing at night be sure to use Your navigation lights, especaily when fishing the channel

11. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll tell you how it goes brad. Hopfully It goes good thats still alot of current but i think that where monster Mr. flathead or Blue are.:cool2:

12. fisherman63650

fisherman63650 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what size sinkers do you use in the swift to hold down the bait in the heavy current?

13. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    at least 10 oz sometimes more

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Only weenies use their navigation lights on the Missouri River...

15. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    the members library has some info on anchoring

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you are using braid you can get away with less weight. I'm starting to really like braid besides being able to use a little less weight you can also feel the bottom a lot easier to make sure you are holding bottom. You can also walk the sinker back and feel every move and can tell if it drops into a little dip and is in a current break.

18. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    You can use a two anchor setup to keep the back end from swaying but make sure you have at least 60 degree angle into the current. Don't go sideways or backwards or you might look like a buoy. Only do this with two people in the boat because you will have to pull the anchor line up together to keep the boat pointed up stream. Watch out for the cottonwood torpedos. Keep a sharp knife within easy access.

19. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    go ahead and use this method as long as your boat insurance is paid up and Your a real good swimmer. it takes much less to pull the transom of a boat under then it does the bow. if By chance you bow anchor breaks loose and the stern anchor holds tight You'lll be going down in a big hurry. I would not recommend this at all!

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Brad,

I think he is talking about 2 anchors off the front, like the Whetstines do.