Anchoring in the Big Rivers?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 6, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Okay, I need help.

I am anchoring in the 'crazy currents' below dam 25, you know, in the current seams.

The stern is whipping around, not fast but makes it a pain to keep lines untangled etc., plus I feel better when the pointy end is upstream.

Will a drift sock help here or is it something else to waste my money on and get in the way when landing a big fish?

I don't think a rear anchor would be safe in this situation (in case the front one came loose).

As always, thanks for the help!

2. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I've not made one of these yet, but it is on my to do list. Looks like it might do the trick.

Check it out HERE.

Tony
    _

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks for sharing that Tony, I think I'm going to try that!!

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Darryl I use the trusty bucket to stop boat sway, here is the link to make your own, and a very interesting site.

http://www.hookedoncatfish.com/ scroll down to the link bucket anchor

5. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    That looks great . I might have to give it a shot.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If you are anchoring in crazy current with a lot of eddys the drift bucket will not do You any good. but in straight line current they will hold You straight and steady!

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Brad. I was talking about the current with tons of Eddy's etc.

Kind of figured it might not help in that situation but I'll gice it a try plus it will help out a ton in other situations.

I've been sideways with the posterior still heading upstream, all the while the river is ROLLING past. Not fun.

Thats supposed to be where the fish are though.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Brad hit the nail on the head here!!!

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sometimes i turn the moter to force the current to push the boat in the direction i want to sit you can also place a couple rods with heavy weights off each back corner to help hold the boat steady

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Tried the motor as a rudder. Tried the motor up and down.

There is a lot of ever-changing stuff going on in the current seams right below the dams.

May not be a good way to deal with it.

11. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN

Darryl,

This will fix it for you. I fish that hole a lot (yes, a swirling mess) and it keeps me pretty flat...

I put two cleats about 1 foot back and 2 feet out from my bow cleat, off to each side of the boat. I anchor off of of the side cleats, and then use my motor facing the oposite direction as the cleat I am using. The result is that the anchor line off the offset cleat pulls me to one direction, and the motor stabilizes me there.

This system also gives me the benefit of being able to move laterally as I wish when I am fishing both sides of a piece of river structure (like a tree or sunken island).

I have a picture of this that I will try to upload. You can see one of the cleats (the starboard one) way off the center of my bow (about 2 foot off center). I would imagine that running a deep V rather than a flat bottom also is part of the dynamic with this tactic. What you are looking for in the picture is the little silver cleat way up above the side rod (look at the bump in the rear window of the SUV if your screeen res is not to clear).

CP

Attached Files: