anchoring in current

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by medford, May 5, 2009.

1. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    whats the best and safest way for people not familiar with the strong current below the damn to anchor there boat and what size or weight should they use, there will be alot of people down there i never have any problem their, but im sure some info from you all would give them a heads up on being safe

2. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I,m not a boat man but from what I was seeing from the dam bank were I was fishing sunday all kinda huge trees ,logs and stumps was going down river ,the dams are wide open very dangerous ( my advise stay off river til it goes down)

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Steve sent you a pm brother

Tom

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I would like to get some help on this subject also.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Truman is up and they will be running a lot of water thru the dam. Forecasted 40,000+ CFS and that will most likely increase as they bring the lake back toward normal pool. In the past couple of years it has been up to 60,000 or so CFS. Here's a old post I made that may help. A good anchor in the 25-30 pound range will be needed. 100-150' of anchor rope.

Safely anchoring in fast current:
    It's something you need to be prepared for especially if you anchor right up to the bouys in the fast current. Keep someone in the bow that knows what to do in case the worse should happen. Normally the really big logs wont make it thru the spillways but it doesnt take a really big tree to pull you down when there running that kind of current. BETTER TO BE SAFE!

Anchor to the bow only and never put a anchor out of the transom. If your getting a lot of swing at the back of the boat place a couple drift buckets if needed.

We use a quick cleat (Pic1) at the center of the bow to secure the anchor rope. Only place it thru 2 wraps, that way if you need the anchor rope to release quickly all you have to do is pull up on the anchor rope and your anchor will be free. You would only have a matter of seconds to release your anchor if the worst happened and a tree happened to be in your anchor rope pulling your boat down. Allways keep a sharp knife in the bow just in case.

Also you will need a anchor retrieval system to get your anchor back in case you should ever have to abandon it. The AnchorLift is the most popular and best weve found. (Pic 2)
    Dont rely on tying a jug or whatever to your anchor rope as in that kind of current it will go under and you will never see it again.

Attached Files:

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The biggest problem I see is not using enough anchor rope for the conditions. 100 ft of rope is barely enough with a little bit of current but once it gets rolling, 150 ft is pretty much required. Use as much rope as you need to get your anchor to grab firmly.

And always have a knife at the ready in case something happens and you need to get free of the anchor rope in a hurry. I had a *big* tree roll up on my anchor line last spring below Warsaw and it made for some pretty tense moments - didn't have to cut the line, but that was the next option.

And finally, make darned sure you keep your anchor rope away from your motor when pulling it up - get that rope wrapped around your lower unit and your boat will be on the bottom of the river in just seconds...

7. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fished the heavy current there for several years and so far never had a problem, even in my old 14 foot Jon boat. A little common sense goes a long way. First rule is NEVER ANCHOR YOUR BOAT FROM THE TRANSOM! Every year I hear of at least someone doing this and then sinking the boat. Always anchor from the bow and I agree that you need at least 100 feet of rope. I prefer 1/2 inch rope also since its alot easier to pull up and doesn't hurt your hands as much as the smaller stuff. Steve Brown talked me into buying one of the 25 pound anchors he sells and all I can say is it is incredible and well worth the money. Here's a link to the one he sells, it also has a break away feature that allows you to pull it out backwards if it gets hung up: http://shop.catfishsafari.com/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=87

I anchored up below the dam in the heavy current Tuesday and only had to let out about 50 feet of rope, held solid. Definately agree with keeping a knife ready in case a problem comes up. Not that big of a deal fishing in the heavy current, just keep aware of whats going on and have a good time. Chris

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    What do those anchor floats cost?

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Seth, I think you can get the buoy and lift mechanism for 60-70 dollars, or just the buoy for $50 or so. I found one of the buoys floating down the river this week, it seems like most anything you might want will eventually float by if you are patient enough :smile2:

10. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm interested in these float-type anchor lifters...

Here is a video of one in action--> http://www.savvyboater.com/skins/skin_1/videos/AnchorLift.wmv

I'm curious if they actually work that well? Has anyone that has one had issues of getting the anchor line in their prop...that would be my big fear...

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah they work. They work real well. Unlike that video you want to have a side cleat on each side.. Then you want to tie the rope off to the side cleat. This is the wider part of your boat and helps push the rope that much farther from the side of the boat. When you start to go make sure you go out and around the ball. If your on the missouri river doing this head for the channel side of the bank. You need to be doing a pretty good clip as well. Thats the danger part. If your anchor is really stuck that nose of your boat of yours is going to do an about face. :big_smile:

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  13. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    They make alot of fluke anchors with quick releases. I use a 10 pound Fortress brand fluke on the mo river, it doesn't have a quick release though. And I agree with the other guys, a good float, a sharp knife, and ALWAYS pay attention to what is goin on around you!

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are times ya gonna hang one bad. I hung one during snaggen season and had it hung bad. I cleated off and straitend the alum clip I had on it. I get the cheap non locking spring loaded (not for climbing) clips used for key chains ect. That way I can pull em out if I hang a anchor up bad. I leave a anchor in the river and save my rope. Sometimes you just cant get em back.

15. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    Thought I would post a reply to this as my first post ever. Been lurking for a while but this post really hit home. I was fishing below the dam this weekend, on monday, they were running a ton of water, I was using a 25 lb navy anchor and the anchor bouy, which I bought from Steve Brown, great product, and 100 feet of line. I graphed some large fish below the swinging bridge and decided to set up on them. I fished a while with no luck and decided to head out. As i motored upstream and around my anchor bouy the bouy slid down the line as usual when it got about 40 ft down my anchor line my anchor line got tight, anchor was stuck, my boat did an about face at the speed of light and I was headed back downsteam with the anchor bouy no where in sight thinking o sh!! where is the rope is it going to get in my motor? I threw it in reverse and pulled the back end of the boat away from where I knew the anchor and line would be and floated in a wide arc back around and was held again by the anchor, luckily still nose up the river. I caught my breath and thought what to do. I started trying to pull the anchor by hand, I should mention I was solo, no one to idle the boat forward as I pulled rope, against the current it was all I could do to pull the boat forward and was much worse than it would have been without the bouy as the bouy was now 10 feet or so under water, it would not slide back up the line as it grabs, just like it does when it gets to the end of your line, it was much harder to pull the boat upstream than it has ever been when I did not have an anchor bouy. I was determined to pull it up enough to get to the bouy so I could pull the bolt back and let the bouy slide back up so I could save the bouy at least. The first time I got close to the bouy all hell broke loose with boat traffic and I had a couple of those bass boat gentlemen come through at 70 mph about 10 feet from my boat I almost lost my footing and went in the drink, got that under control and pulled up again to the bouy by hand and just about had it in the boat when some nice little girls on a wave runner came bye and stopped to ask if I was OK I told them I was fine just had a stuck anchor and thanks for offering to help. Finally I got enough line in to get the anchor bouy back in the boat, I tied off the rest of the line, approx 60ft to the cleat and tried again to motor in an arc up river of my anchor and pull it loose, once again my boat did an abrupt about face when the line tightened, I swung around again and said to heck with the anchor and cut the line, with the knife, that was laying on the deck next to my cleat the whole time for safety.
    I do not know what I could have done differently and every thing was ok in the end but that was a very unsettling experience in the heavy current and has kind of left me wondering about fishing alone like that, unfortunately I don't always have someone who can go when i can. Would love to hear your thoughts on what I could have done differently. I know if I had someone there to drive the boat I could have got upstream and got the tension off the line and probably jerked the anchor loose. Sorry for the long post and I would appreciate any feedback about anchoring in the heavy current and doing it when you are fishing alone.
    Good Fishing!

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Doug. Someone that uses anchor buoy wiil be along soon to help you I am sure.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you dropped anchor right under the swinging bridge, that's probably why you lost it, as the river bottom under the bridge is covered with an old bridge deck from shore to shore. You'd never know it was there unless you had side imaging sonar...

I had pretty much the same thing happen Sunday night a few miles downstream, but 225 hp and 24 ft of heavy aluminum boat (and a stronger-than-I-expected cleat) took care of the problem. In my case, the buoy was completely submerged, like it just disappeared. If you thought it was exciting during the day, you should try it in the dark of night...

You probably did the right thing in just cutting the line - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That's why I carry a second anchor and an extra 150 ft of anchor rope on my boat... :wink:

18. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    Mr.T, thanks for the reply, glad I am not the only one who has had that experience, my little 18ft G3 with 90horse just did not have enough muscle to break er loose. Do you drive the Rocket Red Pro Cat? If so I have seen you many times down there that is one heck of a nice looking boat, I am saving my pennies and dimes and one day would like to have one, problem is you already got the coolest color they make, wanna trade? LOL. Welded up a replacement anchor at the shop today in the style of the ones that Steve is selling, will see how it works this weekend, didn't cost me anything so figured it was worth trying a homeade one, can't keep shelling out big money on them and leaving them at the bottom of the river. Gotta save all my cash for that pro cat, someday I will get there.
    Good Fishing!