Anchoring help

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kitsinni, Jun 26, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I need some help with anchoring. It is probably the thing I have the most trouble with in fishing. I fish the Ohio a lot and I have on of those richter I use in the front and it seems to hold well. The problem is the boat wants to turn in circles if I don't put down a back anchor as well. It will swing like 10' each direction over and over. So I try to put down a back anchor and it never seems to hold. My back anchor is a mushroom anchor I think 18#. Is there something I am doing wrong or does anyone have any suggestions? It seems like to get them to hold I have to take most of the slack out of the anchor lines and then if a barge comes to close the wake will pull up anchor. Any help is appreciated!

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

3. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    When you drop your front anchor, let out 15-20 feet more rope than where you want to position the boat. Drop your rear, leaving it un-tied, and pull in line for your front anchor until you get the position you want. I believe you'll like the results. Being I fished alone a lot (as well as lazy, lol) I had my john set up with an electric anchor up front, and an anchor mate in the back. I could set up in minutes without leaving my seat, and the boat was always steady for having 2 or more rods out, without constant tightening of baits. It cost me $100 more to set up this way, but for me, it was money well spent! :wink:

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    insted of the mushroom anchor try a river achor, they seem to hold better :wink:

5. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    SOEM OF THOSES WILL NOT WORK TO GOOD WITH ELECTRIC ANCHOR SYSTEM. SO SOMETIMES YOUR STUCK WITH THE MUSHROOM STYLE.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Also if you don't want to go with electric anchors and you get a really big fish on and need to pull up anchor and follow it it is a good idea to have jugs on the ends of your anchor lines. Just untie the anchors and throw the jugs over board and then follow the fish, and land it. When ya get the fish landed you just go back and pick up your jugs... get back into position and retie them off and go back to fishing. Don't have to re situate your anchor/anchors again.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm not familiar with the Ohio River but if you have any substantial amount of current it is a BAD BAD BAD idea to ever drop an anchor off the stern!!!!! If your bow anchor slips loose your boat will turn downstream and you'll sink that dude in a matter of seconds!

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I don't think I can top what others have said but there is a video on here somewhere from team catfish where Jeff Williams says he used an anchor for shallow water. It's a pipe with one of those dog leash things you screw in the ground welded on the end and on the other end use a T connector with a short pipe on each end to make it possible to screw in to the river bed. It seemed like a great idea to me.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio

If there is descent current it seems like the one bow anchor is enough to hold you in place and I don't use the stern anchor. The problem comes when the current is low enough that even the wind can offset it. It seems like half the time I am out there the wind is blowing directly up river. I always anchor off the bow first with the bow pointing up stream. Then it seem like the boat will almost turn in a full circle sometimes if I don't put down a stern anchor. Last night the stern would swing 10+ feet either direction which makes fishing really hard.

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to try to make one this way. I have tried throwing a 5 gallon bucket over but it had no holes in the bottom and did not seem to do much at all. I will try to make one up this way and see if I have better luck.

11. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    If you throw out a drift sock in the rear of the boat and anchored from the bow----the sock will take out 99.9% of the sway and hold the boat steady even with the wind blowing at the stern. IF the bow anchor comes loose you just start to move instead of sinking. I use this method in the cooper river and fish some strong tidal currents.

12. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Try the bucket anchors mentioned with the holes...i have used them and they work well even when the current is slow or lacking. You still will sway side to side some, but it should not be a problem and it should not be very much depending on other boat traffic etc. They are a good cheap set up, comparable to a drift sock solution for anchoring but they catch less debris and are more cost effective.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    UPDATE

I made that drift bucket as suggested above and it worked great! I really appreciate the idea and all the help. I am going to try to anchor using two anchors the way it was suggested when in lakes, but I think the drift bucket is going to get the job done. It is amazing how much better then work with holes in them.