Anchoring dry set traps

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by CountryHart, Oct 18, 2007.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Is there any post concerning staking dry land traps? I'll be trying to catch coyotes and bobcat. Have heard of using drags but sorta leary of that. Any and all help is appreciated. thanks, john

2. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used to use 1/2 in rerod 18 to 24 in long cross staked for coyotes . I now use pogo anchors . A guy that goes by Pogo makes the drivers for them as well as sells washers , rivets and cable to make your own . For about .15 each you can make a stake that will hold any coyote alive as well as a deterant for trap thieves .

It consists of a fender washer with a prebent rivet , and piece of cable with eyes on the ends . I run universal swivels on the end of all my traps which I attach to the pogo anchor with a prebent rivet . This is drove into the ground with the washer on its side . When you pull up on it after driving it in the washer will turn so pulling aginst the flat . I have held up to 5 coyotes without ever having to reanchor . That will never happen with rerod unless it is frozen in . I have lost fur from a trap but several traps were saved by this system for me . Deep footprints on either side of the trap told the story . I hope they blew their thieving back out LOL .

Minnesota Trapline Products sells this system online if anyone is interested . It can be adapted to the coon and beaver line as well .

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I make my own ,from 1/2" rebar and cut lengths of 18,24 and 30" and use them depending on soil conditions . I also use drags lots. Dont be afraid to try drags, they will hang up faster than you thing,just learn to look for the trail they leave and look out in front of you when trailing a catch,i've had a few encounters with a coyote or bobcat that scared me .

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree, don't be afraid of using drags. I caught 20 plus mountain lions and two Jaguars in Paraguay that fell to foot snares on hard wood, (quebracho) drags. The drags weighed at most 15 pounds.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

pogos are the way to go. they are lite easy to make and cheap. and can be a real wicth to get out of the ground

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Excuse my ignorance but what does a "Pogo" look like? Had a pogo stick when i was a kid lol.:smile2:

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

................. pogo anchors are earth anchors made from 3/32 or bigger cable with a loop on both ends and a j hook rivet attached with a fender washer through the j hook rivet. it goes in with the driver and the driver is pulled out pull it once to set it flat (it goes in straight up and down) and you will be well anchored. they are cheap easy to use and very light(pogo is the user name of the guy that came up with them) you can carry dozens of them with you with little weight to worry about.