Anchored jug tips

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by rat fink, Jun 24, 2006.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi all i want to put out some ancored jugs but i am a bank poler by choice but people seem to need my gear more than i do latlie and my line of thought is thay wont want to swim out to get a 1.50 ancored jug and mabe a fish so what i was woundering was how should i go about this and aney tips or prefrences on line jugs ancores bait but im going to use 10/0 black circle hooks thay work for me

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Take a string that runs from near the bank with a weight on it. And allow you to cast out with your rod and reel. Catch the string and then reel it in. The string would then be used to pull the anchored jug in??
    Pete

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im not real clear on exactly what your asking but heres some information.

Here is a diagram of how we make our jugs:
    http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weightedjuglines5zb.png
    You really cant put these out/pick them up without using a boat. Best baits in my opinion are live perch and fresh shad.

Just be sure you check you laws on what is legal in your state, and your lake. And modify my design to fit your needs.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Mine are a lot like that, but instead of attaching the droppers to a swivel, as I would do on a trotline, I tie a small loop in the mainline, then attach the hook with a trotline clip. That allows me to quickly attach and remove hooks, so I can remove them as I pull in the line. I don't like the idea of having a line with hooks attached behind where I'm holding on; if a big cat makes a sudden run, it could jerk hooks into my hand.

5. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    thank you all for your input and what i was asking was what kinda materal to use like for instances jugs witch do you pefer bleech or 2 leater bottel just your prefrences

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My preference is 2 liter bottles. When you pick your jugs up you just rapp your line around it and stick the 2 liter in your cinder block and your good to go. Takes 20 seconds to pick up your jug and your done. One thing about 2 liter jugs though, is that unless your good with knots it might be hard to take your main line to the jug. I use 2 slip knots so that the hard a fish pulls the tighter the string squeezes around the bottle lip. We havnt had a fish yet pull the off, and we've had fish to 32.5 # on them. I drink alot of soda so we have a few of these each week, so there easy for me to come by.

With a antifreeze bottle or that shape of jug you can put your line inside the bottle which can in some situations be easier. Make sure you clean it out really well though, you dont want chemicals and such on your line. Easier to tie your line around the handle on these. Alittle bit harder to come by for me.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    With my anchored jugs, I never know how much line I'll need to anchor them, so I put about 75' on each one. That's too much line to wrap well around the neck, so I added a disk about 3" in diameter to the cap; that keeps the line from slipping off the neck. And I attached a trotline clip to the disk. Since I have a small dropper loop every 3' on the jugline, when I have enough line out, I simply clip a dropper loop into the clip attached to the cap so the rest of the line doesn't unroll. A two-liter jug works great for this.

8. catonboard

catonboard New Member

State:
    IN
    Howdy from new member

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Howdy new member, what brings you here...:big_smile: Welcome to the BOC... now don't just sit there. Blow the dust off that keyboard and let your fingers do some fancy dancin':lol:

10. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good posts. Jerry makes a very important point about safety with those hooks!! Good fishin'. Jack.:smile2:

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Catonboard.

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'll second that!

13. grizzly

grizzly New Member