Anchored Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by crusinman2002, Oct 29, 2006.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... i seen this a bunch of times in the short amount of time i've been on the water after buying my boat.

i noticed that most people weren't slowin down on the water, mainly recreational boaters, but i noticed that bass fisherman weren't slowing down either... a while back, i was on the lake during the daytime just runnin the boat before deploying, gettin rid of all the gas, and i was in a narrow part of the lake... there were 3 boats 15 yards from the shore sittin there fishing, and it seemed like noone was slowing down goin past them, they were about 30 yards away when they were flying past, and they were all nearly knockin the people out of there boats with the wake... i slowed down goin past them and on my way back i drifted up to them with the motor off to see how they were doin, and they thanked me for slowin down when i had gone by earlier... and then this bass boat goes flyin by and nearly kicked us out of the boats.

so, do you slow down when goin past people?

how do you keep from having the boat rockin enough to knock you out when people fly by?

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Some Folks have NO respect for others while operating their Boats. I AWAYS slow down to a idle speed when passing a Boat with people fishing..

Some people just can't grasp the concept of being courteous to another Fisherman, whether it's a Catfisherman, or a Ba$$ Fisherman. There is NO need for disrespect, and it's uncalled for..

Those Folks that speed pass another Boat thats anchored, should be reported to a Game Warden....

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i will agree with you all but if you dont slow down to a no wake speed the wake is biger then it is at up on plan

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    people should be fined for that! It has happened to me more than once

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Exactly right, it's mostly Bass Fisherman, Jet Skis, and Pleasure Boats here. The bowriders are probably the worst, they come flying by and thier wake is huge! We anchor up on a point sometimes and we are not that far away from it and stupid boats come zooming between us and the point and it's really aggrevating.

Respect is all we ask for.....

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    it really depends on the body of water. If i'm on the cumberland and on plane, then i never slow down. On plane puts out much less of a wake, then throttling down.
    If i'm in a feeder creek, then i slow down to just above idle and ask the folks if they're doin any good.

Body of water and the boat your in really comes in to play.

cyas
    rc

7. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    as robert said it depends on the body of water normally i will idle by other boats but if letting out of the throttle puts me at risk of sucking gravel in my jet then heck no i do not let out of the throttle

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    agreed my wake is less damaging when im on plane , but i slow down if forced to run close to other boaters

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I get this all the time fishing the Vermilion, and out of a 12 foot boat. Its only aggravating when the person doesn't idle, because the bite dies and there are bulkheads on either side, so the boat will end up rockin for about 5 minutes before the waters calm again. Some people just plow through making huge wake, or when somebody PULLS INTO AN IDLE RIGHT AFTER THEY HAVE PASSED! I fish an outside bend, and there is still about 150 yards of visibility to each side from where I'm at, so they got plenty of time to slow down.:angry:

But a lot of guys do slow down and usually ask if I'm catching or somethin, and its mainly on the weekends.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Night fishing is the answer.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would rather have a boat speed up when going by. It is worse when they slow down unless they almost come to a stop way before the even get to your boat. Anytime we anchor near a marked channel the other boaters owe us nothing and we better be watchful. It could be us that is the problem. If we did it right we would never anchor in or near a marked channel.

12. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    There's nothing worse than having someone fly through between my boat and the shore when there is only about a 30 feet gap when anchored,
    The best cure I have found is a snagging rig casted just over their shoulder, just make sure you don't have your drag set to heavy, LOL

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City

Exactly what I was thinking

14. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Like buzzing the tower ain't it....there i am minding my own business in my little crop duster and a F-whatever comes over at treetop level at Mach1.
    Hate it when I'm baiting a hook especially.
    :crazy:

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I fish out of a kayak, the waves bob me up and down pretty bad, but it rides them good. I"ve gotten to where I don't cuss them as much. With the jet skis, I'd rather they just go by as fast as they can. There is less trouble with wave action if they do because they have no idea what idle speed means.

16. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Fish at Night?

Excuse me but if thats your type of fishing, then good for you. Me, I'm not a night fisherman myself. I, like everyone else out on the water, pay for my fishing license, I register my Boat and Trailer.

The point being is this:

If I choose to go out and fish during the day, that is my right to do so, and NO ONE has the right to invade my space. Meaning blowing by me any where close. There is a certain thing called courtesy, and respect for another Human being.

I show respect to others, and I demand It back, meaning, If some one gets reckless in their boat, and comes too close to mine, I will report them to the Game Warden immediately.

Fishing is a wonderful sport that we ALL enjoy, or we wouldn't be doing it. That does not give any of us the right to mistreat another fisherman out on the waters.

Common sense is all It takes out on the water. Why are we In such a hurry as to blow by someone at a speed that almost capsizes their boat? It's uncalled for, and should be dealt with, BY the proper Authority's, not us.

We can ALL have fun and treat others with respect at the same time..

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I may be blind but not that blind to require such large font. hehe All joking aside though. They to have just as much right as you do. Even if they have there speed boats doing 90mph just 40 yards from you. It sucks but yes they also register there trailer and boats/motors and probably own a fishing license. I know that’s not what you want to here but like Rodney Dangerfield says... No Respect!! Unfortunately if you want quiet time on "PUBLIC" waters you got to fish at night, even if you are afraid of the dark. Besides everyone knows that’s when the big fish come out to play.......... Oh yeah just remember the faster they go the less boat they have in the water wich means. There wake is going to be smaller since there not pushing as much water with there boat. :)

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Night fishing won't alleviate all the problems.If you have ever been to Santee Cooper and negotiated the Diversion canal on a holiday week-end it is a hairy thing in the daytime,at night virtually impossible.I used to slow way down for each boat but then it took me 2 days to go the 6 miles from lake to lake so now I stay as far away as I can but stay up on plane so I displace less water and make less disturbance.At night it would be impossible to go thru at any speed during the summer week ends because there are so many boats.At times I marvel that a fish could swim thru all the lines without getting snagged.Buying a fishing license or registering your boat and trailer gives you the legal right to use them it doesn't entitle you to common sense.As Voltaire so wonderfully put it "Common sense,alas, proved to be not so common after all"!!!:eek:oooh: The folks that fish the canal at Santee, to their credit understand they are going to get rocked,its their choice, and passing boats frequently stimulate the bite.Most are friendly and wave to you and just because they are waving with a Smith and Wesson M29 in 44 cal doesn't mean they dont like you.:lol: If you place yourself next to a marked channel,in a canal,or other restricted waterway then you know what is going to happen and you have no gripe.As someone said courtesy will go along way towards solving the problem.:smile2: :big_smile:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bud , you so eloquently explained why I said "fish at night".
    There is alot of people that go home before dark for whatever reason whether it be Night blindness, afraid of the dark, afraid to operate a vessel at night, cant find a babysitter, or they dont want to misss the last episode of Lost for the season.
    Whatever the reason of all these people that dont night fish on the waters I fish it makes for a pleasant relaxing night for catfishing.:big_smile:

Of course I have the right to fish anytime of the day, that doesnt mean I am giving up any of rights because I dont fish in daylight hours. It simply means I dont have to deal with a real high idiot factor.
    I have the right to go to work anytime also but I choose to in off peak hours.

20. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mark how does Night fishing make a difference in the way boaters operate their equipment? Now I do understand the concept that there tends to be less boats(especially pleasure boats) after dark. It still doesn't change the fact that an idiot is an idiot, day or night. Vern