Anchor?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by snooker_hooker, Mar 27, 2006.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    which type do you all use. i have been thinking about a river anchor. now i have a fluted anchor with 6 ft of chain and still wont hold the boat. i have 80 ft of 3/8 line. my boat is only 16 ft.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, there's a lot of discussion in the library. Here is one that may help you. The reef type anchor I use works especially well in the lakes or river. About the only time I need anything else is in saltwater where there is a really strong current with sandy bottom.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40321&highlight=anchor#post40321
    This anchor will allow you to pull it up easily even if it does hang up.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have used river anchors for a while and they work great. Those fluted ones are for use in sandy bottoms and won't hold an innertube in the river here (with clay or mud bottom).

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use the 20# river anchors from wally world and they will hold my 17' triton in a really fast current, just make sure you have the proper amount of rope. If you have 80' of rope and your fishing in 70' of water you will slide all over the place. I like it to be at least 3 to 1 ratio, for 10' deep you should use at least 30' of rope. The river I fish is normally around 10' deep and I use 50' of anchor rope. If it is deeper I let out more. Hope this helps...

5. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i figured that 80 would be ok in 50 ft, but i will go get a 150 ft spool. i just dont have the room. i also saw the min kota anchors at walmart. thanks
    blackwater, in moultrie what does the bottom consist of, mud?

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Not much mud, mostly sandy bottom, with LOTS of snags, logs, stumps. I can assure you that you will get hung eventually, and lose anchors. I have a ton of anchors here at home of different types, including river, cheney, etc, but the only one I use on a regular basis in the lakes or rivers here is the reef type that I linked you to. I've lost some of every other type over the years, but so far have never lost a reef anchor. If you notice the one I use, instead of rebar, it has 1/8" x 1" flat bar, which digs into sand or mud, holds my 17' key west good, but also is pretty easy to bend and retrieve if necessary. I have managed to hang it pretty good a couple of times, but tied it to a cleat and let the motor bring it loose. There is a tyrap holding the rope at the top end that will break under strain and let you pull it out backwards.
    I would also mention that the 'richter' anchor works pretty good, from all I've seen. There are so many types out there, it gets confusing; one just has to decide what is best for them.

7. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i understand that. the one i have came with the boat, but time to upgrade. did you make yours or buy it. if bought where did you get it from.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hah, I just finished a reply that mentioned that richter anchor, but you had already found it. Good. I haven't actually used one, but some of the people I've talked with seem to like them.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I bought one, and made another one. I think the one I bought may have come from Randolph's Landing, but a number of places sell them.

10. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use a Danforth anchor, 6' of chain 150' line. Works great in sand and mud, but may get hug up on a rocky bottom. Not the best in grass either. It's good in that it's a lightweight weight anchor with long, narrow, twin flukes.

11. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    the ones o have found dont have the flat bars but they have round bars. a guy at work has a 10 one with round bars and he said that he would give it to me. first is to get more line. i am going to get the 150 ft and try a grap next time. i did like how you set that up with a quick tie.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, what I use is pretty much what all the guides use on the lakes, in some form or other. The tyrap will break and allow you to pull the anchor out backwards. The rebar type will work well, too; I just prefer the flat bar because it seems to do a little better in sand or mud. In fact I almost never need more than 100' of rope, even in 50'+ of water, they hold so well. You can buy the stuff to make one at most any hardware store if you have access to a welder. I'm just offering my opinion, though. Everyone has to decide what is best for them, but these work pretty good in the lakes around here.
    Jennifer, those danforth anchors are great all-round, and I use them in a lot of cases, but where there are a lot of snags or rocky bottoms, they don't do so well, although the chain really helps a lot. Once they grab, they will stay right there. (In fact some of them grabbed so good on logs, they are still there, LOL) BTW, welcome to the BOC. Glad to have ya here.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Nick, I have real good luck with my "Digger" anchor. What I like is you don't have to use a big old heavy chain with it. They recommend you don't. I use the 15lb (biggest available) to hold my 20ft Catoon. With a 100ft of line it'll hold me in 60ft of water in a fairly stiff breeze. In a heavy wind I'll let out about 120ft. When I bought my first ones they cost $50+, now they're around $75.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm with you on the Digger. I fish almost exclusively on the Mississippi River and the Digger has worked without fail for the last 4 years. I used to lose anchors, caught on snags and rocks, darn near every trip out before, on many other styles of anchors. Only the Digger has done everything I would want an anchor to do. That collapsable feature is what makes them worth every dime.

15. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    ok when you say digger what style do you mean? or do you have a link to look at one. never mind i found it. the brand name is digger. thanks for the input. i have seen them. they dont come out, or release in heavy waves. on the lake we have some big waves. last time i was out 2-3 fters. as the bow moves up and down you would think it would release.

16. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Here is a link to the Digger Anchor web site:
    http://www.diggeranchor.com/

I have one and it works GREAT! I think it is the 12 lb model but I am not sure. I have never had a problem getting the anchor back up and I anchor a lot in rivers. The anchor holds well in the sand and mud. I would say that I have to "pop", or give a quick pull to release the flukes, about 25% of the time. There are a lot of snags in the river where I fish.

On a rare occasion, I will use the boat's power to release the anchor. It is a matter of very gently applying the throttle until the anchor's aweigh. We used to do it all the time in the Navy on my old Spruance Class Destroyer. I must stress this is a dangerous thing to do and should not be attempted by anyone who does not have a lot of experience with boats. You must be very careful with the lines, river's current and the position of the boat.

The Digger is a great anchor.

Tom

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    First thing I would do is go to the West Marine website and make yourself smart on anchors,ropes,chain etc.You might be surprised at how much rope it takes for instance.Secondly if you ever attempt to free an anchor with the boat and engine may I suggest you carefully look at the cleat or wherever you intend to tie the rope prior to pulling. I have seen a boat or two with large pieces of the gunnel torn out or cleats ripped right out.I would also advocate always having a sharp knife to hand or in reach in any kind of current situation.I use a Chene anchor that you can find at Cabelas and have not been able to lose one yet.They will flip over however if you aren't careful tossing them in .:mad: I also use the grapple anchor with plastic tie release which I consider the best all around anchor for all conditions,rivers and lakes.Have to laugh,no disrespect,;) at your assessment of "Big" waves being 2-3ft.On Santee that would be a light breeze.:) :p :rolleyes: :cool:

18. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Jim,

Those are two excellent points I failed to mention. I always have a sharp knife at the ready when I am on my boat. I do another quick check to make sure I have my knife before handling anchor lines.

Strong cleats with a good backing plate are also important. I have used a "mooring bitt" on my boats which is a super duty type of deck hardware for securing lines.

Another concern is "snap back." This situation occurs when a nylon line is stretched and then parts. It snaps back like a rubber band only with much more speed and force. Snap back is very dangerous.

Again, I advise anyone who uses their boat's engine to dislodge an anchor to be extremely careful. You should NEVER gun the engine to dislodge an anchor. If you do not have a lot of small boat experience then I would not recommend trying this maneuver. Just cut the line and buy another anchor. It will save you money in the long run.

Tom

19. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i have seen 35-40 ft waves on the ocean. in my jon boat 3 ft waves toss me around like a rag doll. next time you can hang on while we get tossed. i saw a pontoon out and man it was a smooth ride, but i will never get rid of the jon