Anchor Winches, Whats the Best

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by kennylee, Jan 11, 2009.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Im wanting to buy and install an anchor wench and am looking for some advice on what you guys use and what to stay away from.

I fish fish alone 60% of the time and need one that can be easily deployed and retreived.

Thanks for your help.

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I don't think alot of the guys here use winches. Unless they happen to have their wives on board with'em. :smile2: Most of these guys just winch it up by hand.
    I had originally bought one of the winches you see in BPS and Cabalas and burnt it up in no time. It was no match for pulling my pontoon up current below Melvin Price with the anchor holding strong. For lake fishing, or pulling a fairly light anchor they would probably do the job just fine. I just expected to much from it.
    After burning through that in no time, I now I have one of these mounted up front. http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch/controller?action=product&c=4&p=23
    It's a bit overkill probably. But it will pull any anchor up. Either that, or pull the front of the boat under. :tounge_out: I love having it when I'm out there by myself. There are times when it's really difficult to pull the boat up stream in hard current by hand. At times I had to put the boat in gear and get it moving forward, and then run to the front and start pulling line until I could get the anchor to break free, only to run back and pop it out of gear so I didn't get wrapped up in the prop.
    This winch will pull the boat up stream no problem, and break even the most stubborn anchor free.

3. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Kenny, I have a Powerwinch 25 on my boat and I like it a lot. It is rated for up to a 50 pound anchor. It free falls down and powers up. I have a remote switch on my console and I operate it fine by myself. I really don't know how I fished without one all of these years.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    My anchor puller is 59 years old and still pullin anchor. Gets a little crabby once in a while but still pulls the anchor
    :tounge_out::wink::smile2:

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a MinnKota Deckhand 40 on the bow of my boat and really like it. Since I fish by myself most of the time it saves me a lot of work. I just push the button on the console to lower and raise it,and don't know how I ever got along without it. If something happens to the one I have,I guarantee you I will put another one on my boat. I would highly recommend this winch if you're wanting to put one on your boat.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep I also have the MinnKota Deckhand, Altho I would not say it is the best or worst, I think you just need to do a little homework and find the one that will fit your needs, and once ya do you will love it for sure, LOL. I do know that if I were to go with a unit to be on the big river the one Dan has I have looked at and feel it is the only way to go, as your not limited by any length on rope....

7. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    From what I hear, there is nothing better for pulling up an anchor than one of these...:smile2:

[​IMG]

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Not sure if you fish rivers with current or if your just fishing lakes but hands down we have had more luck with the "anchor lift" than anything. never have to worry bout wearin out batteries or anything. Power of your boat lifts the anchor to the top of the water for you. Hands down one of the best things we have ever bought for the boat!! one of our members sells them CHEAP. Go to catfishsafari.com and look at the anchor lift. It works great.

9. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Yeah Nessie. That will get the anchor up just fine and dandy. But I sure would hate to buy the fuel to keep it going

10. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I have the powerwinch deckmate 25 on mine and I love it.It does the job any where I fish either below the dam or the Mo. river or calm water.I say it's the best buy out there I did some looking and got mine cheaper on the web from WWW.HODGESMARINE.COM

11. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
  12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    yeah but how ya gonna feed that boy lol lmao

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    costs about 12 dollars worth of grilled stuft burritos to fill that tank up if i remember right.

14. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    if thats all then i need him on my boat in the summer

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    If your on the big fish, I'll be there!!! Pulling anchors is NO PROBLEM!!! Especially if you're on the fish! :wink::smile2::smile2:

Of course, if we're on the fish, we won't be moving much either!!

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's still a LOT of money just to raise and lower your anchor. I don't anchor much, so I haven't really investigated any kind of winch setup for my anchor, but I'm wondering why you couldn't use a 1500# electric winch costing about $50 new. If you needed a lot of line on it, you could use something like 1/8" wire cable. :0a36:

17. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    If you anchor and move around as much as I do it's like a dream and saves alot of time.The Mo. river is fast and it come in handy out there by yourself.Those electric atv or truck winches don't hold enough line you need atleast 100' plus they are slow and most of them don't have a free fall and a centrifical braking system so you don't backlash your rope with that heavy anchor on there.I didn't have one for years and boy I wish I had you can't beat it.

18. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have seen them work. They are indeed a work saver. But another way to look at it is, if you continue to raise it by hand, perhaps you will be able to raise it for years to come. We all need exercise. I look at it like I may live an extra half hour or so cause I raise my anchor by hand. I do not look forward to the day that I CANNOT raise my anchor myself.:wink::smile2:

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I had the MinnKota deckhand back a few years ago. It would only pull a 15 lb anchor and not even that in the Mississippi current. Get the slightest hangup like is common out there on the rivers, and I know it couldn't handle it. I use 200 ft of 1/2 inch line and the deckhand only uses 100 ft of 1/4 inch. $100 down the drain, as if that was the first $$ or the last I will waste trying to make fishing a bit easier. Right now I am pulling by hand. If I get a hangup, I use the boat to pull it free. I looked at the idea of those balloon type assists, but the danger of getting the rope into the prop shut that idea down for me. I know some like it.
    For now, I will continue with hand pulling, but I can see where the first assist style mentioned, would help and will keep an eye on it. My back would like me to find some system instead of calling on it. One spinal surgery is enough.

20. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    :wink:

Between my Boss's schit, my wife's honey does, my kids, and my own dumb ideas.... I get plenty of exercise!! My body don't need any more work tacked on the list. It reminds me of that about every morning when I wake up. :tounge_out:

When I bought my boat, my dad's boat was for sale in no time. So he's been putting his money into my boat I guess. My dad actually is the one who bought the winch that's on my boat. :wink:

The capstan's a bit pricey. But I gaurantee it'll pull up ANY anchor you want it to. If it were up to me, I would be pulling the anchor by hand. But if he thinks I need a good winch, who am I to argue.

He's actually bought quite a bit of saftey equipment for MY boat. The capstan, 2 automatic inflatable life preservers, and a VHF radio. He always seemed to be a bit interested in hearing about my stories of heading out on the river, by myself, in winter, at night. :smile2:

He's a good man.... I've got a lot of respect for my dad. I've learned and benefited alot from my him.

Anyways... getting a bit off topic here. :confused2: