anchor winch

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by paul c, Jan 9, 2010.

1. paul c

paul c New Member

State:
    sparks ga
    I was wanting to know if anybody uses a anchor winch & what type?

2. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Curious to see some answers cause I saw a pretty hefty one at Bass Pro the other day for a $100 and was thinking boy thats the ticket for a lazy guy like myself, LOL.

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i use one,and love it.but one peice of advice.If you have say a 25lb. anchor,don't get the 25 lb. winch,get the 40 lb. winch.the 25 lb. works great with a 15 maybe 20 lb. anchor.
    you can get a 40 lb. electric anchor winch on ebay for around 75.00 maybe a little cheaper in auction only.
    and they stand behind the products,mine the motor went out on,they sent a brand new one in three days,no charge.don't use the rope that comes on any of them,they have a bad habit of putting rope on that has been spliced together.mine is a trakker 25,goin to get a 40.
    and brian the bass pro & trakker are the exact same thing,just bass pro puts there sticker on theirs.i know this because i put mine on and my neighbors bps one on.just make sure the winch rating is higher than the weight of your anchor.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Most of these are limited to 100 ft of small diameter rope and the free-fall feature may not really be fast enough to suit your needs if trying to anchor in a river.

Might check into a windlass instead. Use your own heavy rope in unlimited length. It pulls the anchor for you but you have to manage the rope yourself.

I'm personally checking into a windlass at some point, I hear they are the BOMB and some have upwards of 1000lbs of pulling force. Not CHEAP though.

5. paul c

paul c New Member

State:
    sparks ga
    I bought a minn kota deckhand 40lb. I will use a 20lb anchor, I have not installed it yet.....it was a little bigger in size then I thought. I just want to make sure that it doesnt bust my deck.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just mount it securely, use backing plates if required or even possible and you'll be fine.

Happy Anchoring and welcome to the boc/usca!

7. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    welcome to the boc....usca.....:Happy:

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I almost never use an anchor, except up in the river where it's shallow enough to just pull it up by hand. If you're anchoring in really deep water, a cheaper alternative to a winch is an anchor float. All you have to do is clip it to your anchor rope, crank your motor and idle away slowly and it pulls your anchor up to the float. You can then effortlessly pull your rope in. It's especially great in saltwater, where you might have a couple hundred feet or more of anchor rope out. They cost about fifty bucks.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have the 35 pounder. It is on the back of my boat though and I use it primarily to stabilize my boat in current.

10. paul c

paul c New Member

State:
    sparks ga
    Thank all of you for the response on the anchor winch & the friendly welcome.... I live in south GA if anyone wants to go catfishing give me a shout.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the USCA Paul.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul Welcome to the USCA. A good electric winch is well worth the money spent.

13. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    harbor freight has alot of nice electric winches that can e used for anchors.

14. paul c

paul c New Member

State:
    sparks ga
    The Minn Kota 4olb anchor winch is installed. I will try to post pics soon.

15. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i got the best winch there is....my son,he get a little upset when the anchor hangs up though...lol....:Mad: