Anchor winch

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tac eulb, Apr 11, 2006.

1. tac eulb

tac eulb Member

State:
    missouri
    Is there such thing as an anchor winch for a decent sized anchor (25 lbs.) that will hold 150' of strong (3/8") diameter rope?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Tim, Welcome to the Brotherhood. Go to Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas website and search for 'anchor mate'. They can be pricey but that may be what you're looking for. Maybe DH will reply he was talking about these a while back.

ST

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's a doohicky they use on big sailboats to help pull on the ropes that raise the sails. Basically, it's a concave shaped cylinder powered by an electric motor. You loop the rope around it once or twice and start pulling on it; the friction from the doohicky helps pull on the rope. Since you only have a loop around it, and you are pulling on the rope, it doesn't wind up around the cylinder. Any sailboaters out there that can tell me what the doohicky is called?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's called a windlass but there are several types of them. Some of them do not require you manually adjust tension on the rope.
    It is a windlass that pulls those big anchors on your typical yacht.
    These things are expensive. I've seen used ones go for 2500 bucks.

http://www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_which_winch.php

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have one on my 18 1/2 polar kraft It's rated to pull up a 30 pound river anchor. I Have about 300.00 in it and it works. I intend to get a second anchor to throw out after the front anchor holds in hopes it will keep the stern from drifting

6. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    The best one I have found that has never ever failed and is extremly cheap is...my fishing buddy. Thats the price you pay for going out on my boat. LMAO

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
  8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's what I was talking about. In a quick search on the web, I found them as cheap as $112 and change.

Attached Files:

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I've never seen those Jtrew. That's neat.

ST

10. tac eulb

tac eulb Member

State:
    missouri
    I got the anchor retrieval system as suggested. It works like a dream. Thanks.