Anchor winch?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CBH, Jul 1, 2009.

1. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Guys, I'm going to buy an electric powered anchor winch for my 29 lb anchor. I'm seriously looking at the Trac 35, but before I buy, I'm asking for suggestions and opinions from those of you that have experience with electric anchor winches.

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've got a Minnkota Deckhand40 have had no problems with it..... well the only problem I had wasn't do to the anchor winch, but more the battery draining down just this past weekend. I forgot to charge it up before going. but other then that it had worked flawless so far. Also got the remote switch for it that I keep right at the helm, makes easy work of getting setup right.

I've had a trac35 on my previous boat and never had any problems with it either. The trac35 is freefalling where the MinnKota is power up and down. If I had to choose again it would be a toss up, but would probably be a slight edge to the MinnKota40

3. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Every description that I've read about the Trac 35 says the following.
    Switch control can be installed on the winch cover or at the boat's helm and features power-up/power-down deployment and retrieval.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    The one I had was only power up with freefall. I just looked at the website, looks like they improved them to power up and down now. So that would explain the difference. I got mine in 95'.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Mankind just bought the MinnKota DeckHand 40(? I believe thats the model). We just installed it the other day and tried it out for the first time last night.:cool2:
    Its free fall down & power up(I believe, he was too busy playing with it to let me try it...:smile2:). He also got the remote that we installed by the console. That thing makes life so much easier, especially when you have a bad back and pulling anchors about kills you. We fished several places last night and didn't even use a quarter of the battery with it. I'd recommend one of these any day, not hard to install and make fishing so much easier!:cool2:
    I'd say he'll chime in on this later when he sees this thread.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Shouldnt be pullin anchors with a bad back, you gonna get hurt

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats true, only did a couple times in shallow water. That was enough to lay me up and not do it again. Good thing he understood and took care of them. I think thats why he decided to get the winch, he got tired of doing it himself when his fishing partner wasn't able to pull them.:embarassed:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris regardless of the model you choose you will be happy you made the move. One of the best items for fishing.

9. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i would love to get the rope off the floor of the boat. hopefully will be able to get one soon

10. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have had the MK Deckhand 18 on 2 other Bass Trackers and and the ProTeam 185 I now have. I had two of the Track 25's on a Stratos 1850 I use to own. I have had no problems with any of them. Of the 2 brands I would choose the MK because of the auto line out feature, the Track I had did not have this feature. I fish primarly rivers and mostly the Ohio and use the el-cheapo Walmart 18 pound anchors and have no problems with staying anchored or battery drain. Electric anchor system is always my first mod.