Anchor Winch Help

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by buddyodie, Jun 1, 2009.

1. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Got a good deal on a TRAC anchor winch. Bought from a guy for 50 bucks. He had it on his boat and didn't like it, said it was too noisy. I bought it and mounted it on my boat on a rubber pad, cut the noise quite a bit. Works A-OK. My question for the guys who use them-- How bad do these things drain a battery? I took the boat out crappie fishing the other day & dropped and retrieved 3-4 times. Last drop got on some good brush and some nice crappie. 4 hrs. later pushed the button to raise anchor and It stuck in the brush some so I mannually pulled it loose then continued to raise it with the winch. half way up I was running out of juice. I have it hooked up through my console wiring which was hooked up to a fully charged deep cycle. Should I dedicate a battery just for the winch? And -Should this thing have a capacitor wired in some where? (there was not one with it when I bought it, and no instructions.) Any way, I thought someone out there knows a heck of a lot more about it than I do. Thanks for any replys. Hope I get on fish first drop and don't have to pull anchor! But- Probably not gonna happen.

2. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you mean a fuse or breaker instead of a capacitor?

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'm really surprised that it's draining a battery so quickly. the first winch I had was almost identical and I'd go all weekend. Is it power up only? mine was free falling with power up only. Maybe achoring in 10 to 40' of water 20 to 30 times over the duration of a weekend trip. I always have 1 battery dedicated to mine. I'm running the minn-kota 40 now(power up and down) and it is not draining the battery much more either. At least I haven't noticed any difference, can still go all weekend or better, before having to recharge. I do have a fuse inline for protection, but no capacitors. I'm running a 1000cca deep cell marine battery on it.

4. alastingtouch

alastingtouch New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use one and love it! actually i have one at the back of the boat and one at the front so i don't drift in circles around the anchor.lol i have not had to worry about drain on the battery because i have a solar charger that i bought from west marine for about 100 bucks. it's mounted at the back of the boat. it is well worth the piece of mind. i've been stranded with a dead battery before but never again!

5. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks Mike! Yes, mine free falls and powers up. I think I better test my battery, maybe it's not taking a full charge. Also believe I will dedicate a battery just for the winch.
    Thanks to you Kevin for the info on the solar charger. How many amps is yours, and does it do a good job of keeping a charge? Have thought about getting one, but didn't know if they were worth the money or not.

6. alastingtouch

alastingtouch New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    From West Marine I got the Sunsea SE-500 Solar Panel for Medium Boats & RVs, 500mA, 2.5Ah, 7.55 Watts, 14.8" x 14.2" x 1" [​IMG] It keeps up with the drainage from the radio and winch. :wink: