Anchor Wench

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JAinSC, Oct 31, 2007.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw a post asking a question about the use of anchor winches, which made me think...

Here in SC, the term "Anchor Wench" is often substituted for "Winch" (which coincidentally are pronounced the same here, and in many regions).

I have to say, every time I see someone selling a boat with an "anchor wench," I am sorely tempted to put in an offer (apologies to my wife) mostly because I get an image in my brain of the St Pauli girl up in the front of my boat hauling my anchor for me!

Honestly now: is it just me? anybody else?

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yes, a brazen little wench hauling up the anchor. She could serve cold refreshments once under way.

Man I might consider tradng my dog for one of those. But then who would swim after the tennis ball. lol lol

3. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    im right there with you.

same thing with a winch on a veh... I always thing of somthing else....hehe

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    And the whole idea of a Power Wench!

Not sure whether I should be excited or scared about that one.
    Maybe a little of both?!

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The wench winched the bound basket containing all the other wenches who would winch the remaining wenches safely atop the building. Maybe that is the thirty wench virgins some religions talk about. Which they would winch them to He$$.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    its like the old saying goes "US MARINES VS. INSURGENTS WHO DONT BATHE, BURSH THIER TEETH, OR SHAVE. WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO GET THE VIRGINS". always loved that one.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Trust me go with the winch not with the WENCH.I have had numerous anchor wenches and for the most part they dont work all that well.They are usually highly exposed to the weather which causes a lot of consternation on passsing boats,particularly if the male driver happens to be admiring your anchor wench if front of his spouse.Not Good!!!:wink:They leave parts of their skimpy uniforms all over the place and the last thing you want to get tangled up with when fighting a +50 blue is a wench top left strewn about.This adds a plus factor to the other boat consternation, particularly if your wench has more 'Capacity" or larger adjustment knobs, than the annoyed spouse.Frequently you have to stop doing your manly fishing chores,and rub lotion on their bodies to protect them from the weather.Wenches dont come in stainless steel or corrosion proof models.Then they forever need lubrication, which once again you have to stop doing fun stuff like cutting shad,and mix a martini or dispense some cold wine etcetc.Over lubrication naturally means you have to dry them out, which means providing some form of container in which to put the contaminated lubrication.Normally this would be a porta- potti but a 5 gal bucket with snap on toilet seat will work.Wenches are extrememly sensitive to temperature variation and are seldom able to match the current conditions ie they are either to hot ,to cold,to bored,wanna go for a ride or a swim etc.They are particularly pleasing to look especially when out of uniform,but doing so can cause you to miss the pulldown of a lifetime.Their hands are very sensitive which normally prevents them from putting any real pressure on that #$%@%%^&*&^&^* anchor rope,which means you will be doing all the anchor lifting and setting.Nope I would definitely get me one of those electric anchor winches,which might not be as much fun to look at but does pull the hell out of the anchor.WENCHES are much more fun to come back to after a hard day cutting shad and catching big ones.Then you can use the martini or wine to see if you can con them out of their uniform.:crazy::eek:oooh:Good Luck with that!!!!!!!!:big_smile::wink::cool2:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You guys had better straighten up or you'll have AngelKitty and/or BUD1110 come on the thread and tell you "your just not right". LOL

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I just read all that to figure out I got one of the crank wenches. Darn. I'm just going to the p$y lake.