Anchor System?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Sep 9, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, after my incident on the river last weekend, I am reconsidering my alternatives regarding anchors / retrieval.

Has anyone ever used the Buoy Retrieval method pictured? Where you motor forward & around the anchor, and pull it free and then it'll come to the service were the buoy holds while you pull in the slack rope and anchor?

I was considering making one out of a dock buoy and a 4 - 5" ring? Has anyone made one before?

Or, do you use a Anchor Winch? I would get an anchor winch, but I'd rather not mount one to the front of my boat! (See Pic). Regardless, I do plan to get an Anchor Roller w/ rope pinch for the front of the boat.

I just noticed that depths above 15' (approx.) seem to be very difficult to bring in an anchor by hand - back buster!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dennis I have never used one. But the people that I know that has them swear by them. I know you will get many opinions on this.

Tom

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Oh yeah they work good. Although the one you have pictured is not the right one. You want the one with the plastic tube with a bolt ran though it. I don't always use it either though. If i'm fishing in water say 15 feet or less it's much quicker for me just to pull the anchor up by hand. I don't know what kind of incident you had last week but the anchor ball could bring a major incident in it's self. If you cut loose and go after a big fish you want to make sure that ball is at the very end of the rope so you know where that is. You don't want to have the ball in the middle and have to worry about getting the rope in your prop. Also you want to practice using the ball in day light hours so you are aware of whats going on. That anchor rope is going to be sucked up and against the side of the boat and then get sucked in back behind you. make sure you are on top of it when you stop to start bringing in your anchor. There are also other things like make sure the ball has the anchor before you stop. Oh yeah if your anchor is stuck your nose of the boat is going to get jerked back sideways pretty fast too. haha all in good times though. Keep your head on right and you will be ok.

4. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dennis, I have one of these and they work GREAT.

5. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    its is great for my toon i have the plastic tube and pin

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    They are great but as mentioned, make sure you become totally familiar with how to use it.
    I would suggest you put a float of some kind that is very visible on the very end of your anchor line. Then, if you do jettison the anchor and rope either to follow a big fish or get out of Dodge in a hurry for some reason you will know exactly where the end of the anchor rope is.
    Everyone should do this whether they have an anchor lift or not.

Don't want to scare you but it is very possible to sink your boat if the anchor line gets caught in the prop. It happened to a guy who is or was a member of this board and who has many years of river experience...W

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  8. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
  9. tac eulb

tac eulb Member

State:
    missouri
    I used the anchor retrieval system for years. While easy on the back and arms, it was a hassle to slide the rope back to the ball after the retrieval. Maybe I was missing something there. Well no big deal, I now use a winch.

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

haven't quite figured what I'm going to do... I fish lakes that have some good wind to it and need something that holds well...with my big alum boat..... Also... I take it on the Colorado River where I need a good holding system as well for the river.... I use a chain to drop my drift down when I do river drifting....

But the biggest problem is the retreival... good when someone is with me.. but then I do fish alone often.... so Since I use the boat in the ocean as well in depths where I want to hang on to the bottom in 180 feet of water... ( good bottom fishing).... so, I'm considering the "capsan" style to throw the rope around.. and let this boy do the work for me.... Kind of pricey... but it is still on my mind ......

Thought about the bouy retrieval system.... seems that it would be ok if you have lots of room to move around.... I would use a "Tie off" on my rope.... where it is on a plastic reel that my rope is on...and throw the line/reel overboard to be retrieved later......

Havent found the right manufacturer or place as of yet.. (for the capsan...)

I have a trolling motor on the front ... attached by a "custom" attachment for easy on and off....so I have to keep its use in mind...

On my old boat... I had a "big" roller to the side of the front to help with the "lifting" of the rope/weight from the depths...did it all by sitting down...

looking for more ideas... on mounting...

Good Luck with what you come up with..... Safety is the big concern..:wink:

Bayrunner Ray

11. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I have been on the missippi and used the system in 90 ft of water this really work good there the system we use is a 2 1/2 gallon Jug filled with foam and a wire wrap around ring all homemade It will pull your anchor up and float it to you

12. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    T Man,

Can you be a little mor specific on the "wire wrap around ring"? Where can I get one, or a picture?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  13. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    Got some 1/4 cold roll round and formed a 4 inch circle with a hooks on each end that will interlock put the circle through the handle of the 2 1/2 and around your anchor rope and hook it thats all it is to it