Anchor Styles

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by Rbms, May 22, 2008.

1. Rbms

Rbms New Member

State:
    Central Mississippi
    Hey guys. I hope everyone is having luck on the water. I lost an anchor last week in the river and am wondering if anyone has seen it? Just kidding:wink:. I went and got another one and paid $90 for it (don't hurt yourself laughing). :embarassed: It is a Digger from Bass Pro. We had saved up some gift cards, so it cost me a little less than a regular navy fluke which is the only reason I got it. This anchor claims to be 100% retrievable. Has anyone used it before?

It also got me to wondering what different kinds of anchors everyone else is using. So speak up, and especially you "home made" guys. Provide pics. I'd love to see what y'all are using.

2. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Russ, i've got a couple anchors i'd sell! :big_smile:

I'm using a variation thas came from this board. Its an 18 in black pipe that i drill two holes clean through on one end and one hole on the other clean through. Take two 30 in pieces of rebar and weld in those two holes. On the other end i attach 4ft of chain in the one hole. They would occasionally slide like that until i filled them with lead....

I'm making another one today as i lost one last week in white river after breaking the anchor rope.

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use home made anchors as well with the rebar, but mine have a piece of rebar welded to the top that lets a "quick link" slide with the chain to the bottom of the anchor to retrieve it. Works very well, except sand! I have recently started using a Richter style anchor and like it so far (18lbs) Hope this helps, as soon as I feel energetic, Ill post some pics.:wink:

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    anyone have an anchor that holds good in gravel bottom? i have a place i like to fish near a gravel yard but its hard to get an anchor to hold there... :angry:

5. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm currently trying to scrape together some scrap metal and rebar to make one, but I've heard alot of people talk up the richter anchor. Their just so dang expensive.:crazy:

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Russell, I know a guy who uses a "Digger" anchor and he really likes it. He says it'll hold in any bottom and it's made to release and retreive very easily. Also you don't have to use any chain between the rope end and the anchor. Good luck with it!

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    dont forget about the old mushroom style anchors Adam. the big ones hold pretty good on sandy/muddy bottoms. throw it in rocks, and you just lost it though...dont forget to use a length of chain though. that will keep the top down, forcing the shovels to dig in..