Anchor Storage

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KansasKatter, Feb 25, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    What does everyone do with their anchor and mainly the line every time they re-locate? I get sick of hearing the anchor bounce around, and tripping over the line every time we move, or drift for a little while. Also tired of untangling the anchor line every time it does not get wound up just right, or comes unwound while moving or trailering or whatever.

I was actually thinking of an Anchor Mate II, but wanted some feedback first. What does everyone else do?

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jeff,
    I use a five gallon bucket to store the anchor rope, smaller anchors will normaly fit inside as well. If you use a nice thick rope it won't tangle as easily as a thin one and is easier to haul in. I have about 200' of 5/8" rope for My anchor. We just pile the rope into the bucket when pulling anchor, it never gets tangled.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Same idea here, but I use a milk crate.

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I've always used a bucket too. This also keeps mud from getting all over the inside of the boat.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    With my boat bein built the way it is I do the following. See attached pic. I use a 20# river anchor and when I'm movein I simply put the cleat through the chain.

Attached Files:

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just push the button and let the electric anchor winch take it from there. If it's real muddy, I'll let it back down into the water and wash the mud off before bringing it all the way in. Before I got the anchor winch I used to carry my anchors and rope in milk crates.

7. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    JEFF
    I purchased my 14' boat last year with two anchor mates installed one front and one rear. I have found they work best to reel from the water with a small donut (mud type) front and a larger river type on the rear. This allows them to be reeled up to the stop and the boat moved or tailored. This will only be my second year returning to fishing. Last year I fished only lakes and these anchors worked fine. However this year I an going to fish swift water and am not so sure. My anchor mates will accept only 3/16" rope in 150 ft lengths. I believe I am going to include a good heavy duty river anchor and chain (which will work badly I fear with the anchor mates), along with 200 ft of heavy anchor line. I feel this is a needed safety factor. Having said all this, I fish usually by my self and being able to reel up both anchors without leaving my seat at the tiller is great. Luck

8. SEMOcats

SEMOcats New Member

State:
    Jackson, Missouri
    A larger milk crate will hold my 500' ft of line, 35lb anchor and anchor buoy perfect.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I use a milk crate and why because it is wide enough at the top and won't hold water.:big_smile:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In keeping with the theme I'll probally cut a beer keg in half and use the two halves as an anchor locker.:big_smile:
    I tried those big German beer bottles with not much luck.

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That is the best idea I have heard yet!!

Thanks for the ideas guys, I have been using a milk crate thus far. I think I may use a bucket and actually screw it to the floor of the boat, to keep it in place.

12. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't think I would screw it to the floor. What if you want to dump the water out of it or clean the mud out of it. As long as you have the anchor in the bucket,it's not going to go anywhere. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Glenn

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Put some duct tape or a tie wrap on it:lol:

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have had good luck with a milk crate and a 3/4"diameter 200' rope.

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Kirk why such a large dia. line on your anchor? I had a 26 ft sloop in Fla.and I used 1/2in line for the anchor and it held in some very bad weather with 100=mph winds with no problems.Some of the the BOC members who live in Miss. and fish the big muddy use 1/4in line cause it holds and it's cheap if you have to cut it because of a hung up anchor.I have 3/8in line which I store in a milk crate which is stronger than most cleats,I know it's stronger than mine because in 2004 I broke a cleat while towing a boat using my anchor line.

16. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I use a 250ft 5/8 woven anchor line on my 20 foot bay boat with a 18 pound Danforth anchor and 6 ft of 3/8 anchor chain fore and aft. The strength of the rope is actually a tremendous overkill... but the larger diameter of soft line is easy on the hands and won't cut into them like a 1/4" or 3/8" line will. It's not so important if the anchor is raised with a winch.

I store the line by simply piling it helter-skelter into a bucket with holes in the bottom for drainage. As long as the bucket does not get turned over, the line will feed smoothly out of the bucket. A milk crate would allow air circulation and faster drying, but would not fit into the space available.

Another reason to use a larger line is in case of needing to tow another boat, the larger line is not so likely to snap under a load, acting much like a rubber band and possibly causing injury or worse to persons in both of the boats.

17. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I went and double checked the size and it is actualy 5/8, I have used a 3/8 before and the bigger diameter is easier to grip and does not tangle as easy.

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I bough an anchor mate for mine. Next year I'll probably go power, bit... we'll see. Cabela's also has for I think about $15.00 a lock an release dohickey (like on window shades) for you to do from the helm. If you are tired of it bouncing when you move, you couls stay in one place, or move a little more gently.... :big_smile:

19. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

LOL there is one in every crowd! LOL

Trust me, if you knew me, there is hardly ANYTHING that I do or say that would be classified as "gently" :crazy: :big_smile:

20. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I just use a couple of small wash tubs. Line goes in & out without getting tangled, river anchors sit on top. They can be easily moved around when things get crowded on the fishing decks.