Anchor rope

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hungup, Oct 6, 2006.

1. hungup

hungup New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Need help controlling 100 ft. of anchor rope in bottom of boat! How do ya'll control yours.:crazy:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Hmm, good question. I just love untangling that thing every time I go fishing. For now I just use a 5 gallon bucket. And when you throw your anchor, make sure you're not standing on the rope! Never done that though.....:roll_eyes:

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i put mine in a 5 gallon bucket as im pulling it up thats what works for me

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Milk crate for me , doesent hold water and doesnt tip over, put rope in frist and anchor last, dont have to many tangles.
    Jim

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i leave my rope piled on the front deck when im on the water otherwise its down in the bow of the boat . youve got to remember not to leave the anchor on the front deck when running or it may bounce back the boat and knock you out :crazy: trust me i know:embarassed: .

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I use a milk crate. Don't hold water, air circulates and there is less chance of the rope rotting.

7. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Check the archives,seem like one feller made some sort a winch system fer his boat,ya can buy em too,my rope stays in the bow:cool2:

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Many others have already beaten me to the punch !!, Milk crate is the way to go. Another quality that they have is that they don't tear up the deck/flooring on your boat:wink:

HTH,Elliot

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Now, why is it I can believe that you know????

can also fall over the side and ruin your day. Towed a guy in while back that had done just that.

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When i had a boat i used a milk crate also.... I beleive the new boat im to be getting has a winch system though... dought i will use it much...

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Im gettin a MinnKota pontoon wench for the deck of my boat ( though its not a pontoon) holds 100 ft of rope and up to a 40 lb river anchor- Im tired of pulling that dern thing up 60 ft lol

12. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    I'm another believer in the old milk crate...holds my home-made rebar anchor in place too, without tearing up the boat.

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Good advise everybody. I didn't have any milk crates so I got a plastic container at Walmart and drilled some holes in it. I secure the containers where I want them with bungee cords.

st

By the way, welcome to the Brotherhood Hungup.

14. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The milk crate is a good idea!!! I just happen to have some here to use. Thanks for the suggestion.

15. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you use a milk crate in the front it can hold other stuff while traveling, a 5 gal. bucket in the rear can also double as a drift sock for drifting for those big blues.

16. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Tried 5 gal buckets, now setting up an Anchor mate winch system fore and aft to try for my tidal rivers. Like the idea of the milk crates. Yes, lots of good ideas to try in the archives.

17. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Hey, the way I have my 150' anchor ropes is on an electrical reel. The kind you put an extension cord on. You roll it up and sit it down in the corner of the boat. Get the kind that has a crank handle on it so you can hold it with one hand and crank it with the other one. The one that I have you can get them at any hardward store . I got mine at Lowes for $6.00 . You can easily hold up to 200' of rope on it.:smile2:

BIGCAT GarryEads

18. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use 5 gal. buckets also but i may try the milk crate, makes sense about not holding water.

19. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    this is probly a stupid question but were do you get milk crates?

20. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Behind the grocery store. Ha kidding. They used to sell them at wally-world for $3. Don't know if they still do.