Anchor rope

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by photocat, May 14, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Is there any difference between the rope marked anchor rope and the stuff from like home depot that seems to be the same or better quality for less?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Photocat, in my opinion rope is rope. Just as long as it is strong enough to get the job done, I wouldn't think it would matter about the label or where it was purchased. One thought though, some rope is more likely to rot than other ropes are. You should always check the integrity of your gear on a regular basis, because of the fact. Vern

3. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I just replaced my anchor rope with rope from Grandpa's ACE Hardware. Not only is it better quality it was only about a third of the price for so called anchor line. Good luck and hope to see you on the water.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use the camo rope in the camping section of walmart. It is very strong, I have had to tie off to a cleat and use the engine to pull anchors out and haven't had one break yet. Just make sure the rope is strong enough and it doesn't matter what the package says.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    It doesn't matter where you get it or what the package says, rope is rope

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Is a rose by any other name still a rose? Yes, it's still a rose, but rope is not necessarily the same. Nylon has a higher tensile strenght than cotton, manila, or hemp - for example. It is more rot resistant...if you have the braided line (er, rope - Think I learned in the army that if it is less than 3" in diameter it is a line, over 3 its a rope or hawser) twist it open until you can see the core...anything there resembling saw dust? If so, the rope is rottening. I would think an "anchor" rope is a "catch" name for a nylon rope. It gets wet and resists rot. But, that's just my two cents worth....there is a difference.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Nylon tends to kink a lot more than cotton rope. I have 2 nylon and 1 cotton, all the same length. I spend a lot of time un-kinking and un-knotting the nylon, and very little time on the cotton.

8. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I'm glad to hear that there isn't any difference between the two. I was afraid that I would have to fork out alot of money for some simple rope.

Thanks,

CHUY

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm With Awshucks On This One, The Nylon Rope Is More Rot Resistant Than Cotton Or Manilla. So For Longevity I Would Suggest Using That.

I THink It's Only A Marketing Ploy, If It's Marked "Anchor Rope". Nylon Rope IS Nylon Rope. A Friend Of Mine Splices The Thimbles In The End Of The Ropes For Me & He Prefers The Nylon That Is More "limp" As It Is Easier Braid Or Splice.

I Buy It Off The Bulk Roll From Home Desperate Or Lowes & It's Much Cheaper That Way, Elliot

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I use the cheapest nylon rope that I can find. When my anchor gets hung, I wish it was weak rope then.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check out BOATER`S WORLD and BOATU.S. catalogs.Also check out the rope manufactures on the INTERNET.As the navy taught me,There are many different ropes,lines or what ever you wish to call them,just like there are many different fishing lines.Many are made of the same things as your fishing lines.Very little of this matters to the average boater,as any rope will normally do for our uses.Most of our boating and fishing ropes,line,etc.are a form of plastic.Be careful with gas and oil.It pays to wash it ever now and then.A good soaking in a washtub with water and Dawn liquid dish detergent is a good way to clean any rope or fishing line.You can leave it as long as it takes.The hotter the water,the better.peewee-williams

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    see thats what i was thinking, i just had to make sure... its like the lens cleaning solution for eyeglasses vs the stuff they sell for camera lenses at the photo shops... same stuff just marketed differently. Thanks... I'll be at HD tomorrow picking up atleast 150 ft of line possibly more depending on the line

13. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Just another fine example of marketing in the U.S.