Anchor rope?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bigones, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Does anybody know of a device that I can make or buy that will keep my anchor rope twisted up nice and neat so it don't get all tangled up when I go to throw it out? Thanks

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bigones, let us know what kind of rope you are using for anchor rope.

3. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    How much rope are you throwing out with anchor, how much room you got on the boat floor, how big in diameter is the rope your using? we need more input..

4. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Get a 5 gallon bucket and as you bring it your anchor you can coil the roof into the bucket. As you put the anchor back out it should come out of the bucket nicely if you coiled in in there fairly neatly. Any decent round container appropriately sized to the size and length of your anchor rope should work. If you cut a slot into a bucket top near the edge you can leave the anchor sitting on the bottom of the boat as you use the cover for a seat if need be. Also depending on how much rope you have to store, try one on those crankup anchor line units as sold in Bass Pro or Cabela's.
    There are ideas this is just one or two and I hope it helps.

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    # 1. Never THROW your anchor out, just drop it.
    # 2. You might try a 5 gal bucked to store the anchor line in.

6. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am throwing two 3/8" ropes and they are 150 ft. a piece I don't have much room at all on the floor my boat is 4'6" across and 14ft long. Thanks

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Just a few things I have used in the past.

Buckets
    Various plastic devices used for winding drop cords on
    Plastic wire spools discarded by electricians

If you are using rope like ski rope it is going to be an aggravating mess as it doesnt slide on itself well and is not as limber as true anchor rope.

8. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah this is just some cheap nylon rope it doesn't roll up well. Guess you get what you pay for huh.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How deep is the water you normally fish? What type of anchor are you using?

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bigones, out of the package that rope works well. Once it gets twists, kinks, and broken fibers hanging out of it it is a nightmare and refuses to do what you want it to.
    Good rope is expensive but worth the investment. Not only is it good anchor rope but being the type of enviroment water and boating is, that same rope may have to save a life and a knotted up mess may prevent that.
    Anchor rope cuts much easier with a sharp knife. If you fish tailraces or current and have to cut loose to avoid your boat being swamped or worse yet dragged under you wouldn't want to die while trying to saw through an improper rope.
    Keep a good sharp knife real handy when anchored in current.

11. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The deepest I usually fish is 50 ft. I normally am fishing in 25ft though. I am using homemade anchors a 3 liter filled with concrete with four 8" rubar spikes sticking out each side and a chain in the middle.

12. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I use a milk crate,It doesent hold water, and is a little lower than a bucket,
    put the rope in frist and set the anchor on top of rope ., Have snaps on loose end and snaps on rope to anchor that way I can un snaped anchor and use rope to tie to a snag, if I want.

13. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like I need to invest in the good rope. I just didn't want to spend 60 bucks on rope but your right it may save my life and thats worth more than a few bucks. Lol to me anyway.

14. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone know a good place to buy good 3/8 anchor rope for a decent price? I like the crate ideal where could someone get a milk crate from?

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use a plastic crate as well. Mine is just a knock off milk crate from walmart or some place like that.

16. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought a 150 foot roll of 3 strand, 3/8" rope at Wal Mart for $23.

17. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    One way I know the store your long anchor ropes is to use a wheel that you reel up your extension cords on. You can get them in any size you want. It has a handle and the center has a handle that you hold on to and slides around the center when you reel up the line. Makes for great storage and reels out the line nice as you need it. Just keep and snap to go to the anchor and you got it. Hope this helps you. I have used a 5 gal. bucket, it works great and doubles as your drift sock.

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I bought my rope at walmart, it is 3/8" camo rope in the camping section. It is very tough. I have got the anchor hung on the bottom and had to put the boat in gear and pull it out that way a few times, and its never broke. I use 20# river anchors from walmart also. I just tied a polomar knot in it and it never failed. The only problem is it only comes in 50' sections but the good part is that its only 3.99 for 50' of it.

19. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Tim, I use a milk crate also and it works real well. If you buy a braided rope it will not twist up on you like a 3 strand rope will and if you buy a bigger dia. rope it is a little easier on your hands when retrieving. I bought mine at this place and if you know of somebody else wanting some rope you can split a reel and the price...www.Maxtool.com